"Charming Christchurch" Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch by TheWanderingCamel
Christchurch Travel Guide: 1,253 reviews and 2,648 photos
Depicting Industry and Concord, they tell of the ideals on which the city was founded and - like the city itself - they are quite charming.
I wonder what has happened to these charming sculptures since the earthquakes that first struck Christchurch on February 22, 2011 wrought so much damage on the city. No doubt I shall find out when we make our way back there in April this year. Meantime - anyone else who is heading that way can help someway in the restoration process by supporting at least some of the city's enterprises that are still operating, Check this website for a regularly updated list - you'll be made most welcome!
Cmhristchurch is all about gardens, Victorian architecture, the Avon River winding its way between grassy banks- a city made for walking (though the colourful trams are another great way of seeing the city) and enjoying the relaxed atmosphere and human scale of the city. Warm red brick, cool grey stone and gracious detail define many of Christchurch's fine buildings - no canyons of glass and steel here. Recent years have seen lots of good new cafes and restaurants opening up and a warm autumn day in Christchurch, sitting at an al fresco cafe over a good cup of coffee ( and I don't think I had a bad cup of coffee anywhere in New Zealand - they train their baristas well!) with the trees ablaze with reds and golds, is just about as perfect as a day can get.
Christchurch has more than simply city-based pleasures to offer however. It makes a great base for exploring some of the surrounding countryside - and you don't have to go far to find yourself a world away from city streets and traffic noises. Travel just a few short kilometres from the centre of town and you could find yourself a cool green world of forest trails or windswept hilltop walks in the Port Hills that seperate Christchurch from the Banks Peninsula. Cross the ridge of the Summit Road (or take a lower road through the tunnel) to discover the quaint cottages and steep hillsides that surround the old port at the end of the long arm of Lyttleton Harbour. Look north from a high vantage point over Pegasus Bay to where the ridge of the Kaikoura Mountains sweeps down to the sea, whilst over to the west the peaks of the Southern Alps can be seen. You'll certainly need more than a day or two if you are to make the most of all Christchurch has to offer.
This is a B&B I would happily recommend to anyone. Although four people can be acommodated in the self-contained private... more travel advice
Right at the northern tip of Lyttleton Harbour, the high cliffs and open spaces of Godley Head offer wonderful views... more travel advice
TheWanderingCamel's Related Pages
Christchurch Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Shaken but not beaten: A city rising from ruins"
- "My Home - The (Shakey) Garden City"
- "Over Looking Lyttelton Harbour"
- "Charming Christchurch"
- "My winter holiday in summer"
- "Christchurch - Gateway to the South Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Christchurch
- Hotels in Christchurch
- Transportation in Christchurch
- Nightlife in Christchurch
- Restaurants in Christchurch
- Shopping in Christchurch
- Warnings and Dangers in Christchurch
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Christchurch
- 36 Reviews
- 106 Photos
- 18 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (93)
Have you been to Christchurch?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Christchurch
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 73 reviews, 246 photos
- Turkey Intro, 49 reviews, 221 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 54 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 49 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 49 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 50 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 46 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 83 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue