"Heading south" Top 5 Page for this destination Margaret River by TheWanderingCamel
Margaret River Travel Guide: 310 reviews and 708 photos
Summertime sees the place bursting with people come to make the most of this favourite playground for visitors and locals alike. Roses are in full bloom everywhere - planted not only for their aesthetic beauty but also in a long tradition whereby the rose bush is an excellent early indicator of mildew that would blight the fruit now swelling on the vine.
Summertime is beachtime, and beaches don't get much better than this. Pristine fine white sand and turquoise water - miles and miles of it - not even the most popular beaches are ever crowded and you don't have to go far to find a place you can call your own.
These waves roll in across the Indian Ocean by way of the South Atlantic - there's nothing between this coast and Argentina.
Drive further south, just 60 kilometres, and you come to Cape Leeuwin, the south-west corner of Australia. Turn the corner and you are facing the Southern Ocean - next stop Antarctica.
There may not be any great architectural wonders to visit in this corner of Australia but nature provides cathedrals as magnificent as any mediaeval wonder of glass and stone.
The limestone plateau that forms the Leeuwin-Naturaliste peninsula hides a secret world of caves and caverns full of extraordinary formations of frozen stone pillars and natural sculptures. Several are open for guided tours, a couple permit safe entry for amateur explorers but you'll need to bring a torch whilst others require a spaeliologist's skills.
If open spaces are more to your liking, the soaring cream trunks of the Boranup forest rise like a multitude of classical columns as awe-inspiring and silent as any ancient temple.
Nuytsia floribunda - West Australian Christmas Tree - blooms in the paddocks and roadsides of the south-west corner of... more travel advice
The rocky coast of south-west Western Australia has some wonderfully scenic aspects but there are dangers present too.... more travel advice
Written Jan 6, 2008
Autumn's mellow pleasures
Written Jan 6, 2008
TheWanderingCamel's Related Pages
Margaret River Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Margaret River"
- "Heading south"
- "Margaret River - Wineries, Wildflowers & Surf"
- "Margaret River"
- "A cheap skates guide to the Margaret River Region"
- "Margaret River - not just wineries"
- "Cape to Cape Walking Track"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Margaret River
- Hotels in Margaret River
- Transportation in Margaret River
- Nightlife in Margaret River
- Restaurants in Margaret River
- Shopping in Margaret River
- Warnings and Dangers in Margaret River
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Margaret River
- 28 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (89)
Have you been to Margaret River?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Margaret River
Photos in Margaret RiverSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 73 reviews, 246 photos
- Turkey Intro, 49 reviews, 221 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 54 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 49 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 49 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 50 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 46 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 83 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue