Istanbul Things to Do Tips by TheWanderingCamel
Istanbul Things to Do: 3,174 reviews and 7,145 photos
Real carpet afficionados visiting Istanbul will want to find their way to the Vakiflar Hali Müzesi in the Blue Mosque Imperial Pavilion (facing the tourist entrance to the mosque, the pavilion and museum are to your left). As well as kilims dating from the 16th to 19th centuries, the collection includes antique mosque rugs , mostly from Usçak, Bergama, and Konya, some of which date back to the 13th and 14th centuries.
There are Anatolian carpets from Romanian churches (where they were hung on walls and never walked on so they're in fabulous condition) at the Sakip Sabanci Museum - that's in Ermigan - you'll need to take a boat up the Bosphorus to get there. This museum is also holds a stunning (and quite unique) collection of embroidered textiles from Daghestan that feature pagan and Zoroastrian symbols along with Christian, Jewish and Muslim motifs.
The Museum of Turkish and Islamic Arts (opposite the Egtptian Obelisk in the Hippodrome)also holds a wonderful collection, beautifully displayed and featuring some rugs of great antiquity.
Directions: Vakiflar Hali Muzesi - open Tuesday-Saturday 9am-noon and 1-4pm , closed public and religious holidays
Sakip Sabanci Muzesi - Open Wednesday - Saturday 10am - 6pm
Museum of Turkish and Islamic Arts - open Tuesday to Sunday 9am-4.30pm
More Reviews (11)
TheWanderingCamel's Related Pages
Istanbul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "STROLLING THROUGH ISTANBUL"
- "The only city in the world build in 2 continents"
- "Istanbul not/and Constantinople"
- "istanbul tips"
- "My Beloved Istanbul"
- "Beauty, Culture, & History - All In One Place!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Istanbul
- Hotels in Istanbul
- Transportation in Istanbul
- Nightlife in Istanbul
- Restaurants in Istanbul
- Shopping in Istanbul
- Warnings and Dangers in Istanbul
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Istanbul
- 12 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 22 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (93)
Have you been to Istanbul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Istanbul
- Posted in Travel Dubrovnik Forum "Re: how long in the city"
- Commented on one of DAO's Istanbul travel pages
- Uploaded a Video to Istanbul
- Wrote a Review Beneath the streets in Istanbul Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Beneath the streets"
- updated a Istanbul Travel Page "City of the world's desire ..........."
Photos in IstanbulSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 73 reviews, 246 photos
- Turkey Intro, 49 reviews, 221 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 54 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 49 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 49 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 50 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 46 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 83 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (89)
- Topkapi Palace- 313 Reviews, 734 Photos
- Agia Sophia - Ayasofya- 303 Reviews, 716 Photos
- Grand Bazaar- 112 Reviews, 196 Photos
- Blue Mosque - Sultanahmet- 251 Reviews, 554 Photos
- Basilica Cistern - Yerebatan Saray- 115 Reviews, 255 Photos
- Bosphorus River- 109 Reviews, 192 Photos
- Galata Tower- 100 Reviews, 226 Photos
- Dolmabahce Palace- 106 Reviews, 245 Photos
- Süleymaniye Mosque- 73 Reviews, 160 Photos
- Istiklal Caddesi- 63 Reviews, 150 Photos
See All Istanbul Things to Do