"Fascinating, fabled city" Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus by TheWanderingCamel

Damascus Travel Guide: 820 reviews and 2,205 photos

To come to Damascus is to come to not only one of the very oldest cities in the world, but also one of the most fascinating -
truly a place of fable and endless fascination.
This is the city of which it is said that Mohammed turned away for fear of the enchantment that this earthly Paradise would exert over him.

There's not much of that extraordinary beauty left now in this sprawling, crowded city but still it enchants and delights those who take the time to explore its souks and mosques, twisting alleyways and gracious houses, bustling squares and quiet corners.

March 2006 - Damascus update - MrL has recently returned from his most recent visit. He reports there are many more ATMs around the place, as well as several new internet cafes, restaurants in the Old City and even some 24 hour cafes. Modern innovations indeed in one of the oldest cities in the world!

leyle

• Last visit to Damascus: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Apr 19, 2006

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2010 at 7:58 AM

Leyle, its a grat page on Damascus. I'll be at Damascus in November 2010. Bora

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2009 at 1:07 PM

A very interesting page, Leyle. My F-I-L was talking about his grandfather coming from Damasus. I started thinking maybe it would be a nice place to visit.

• tazeenfarid's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Very informative indeed. Tazeenhasan

• iaint's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2009 at 12:18 PM

good pages - started me thinking

• Feb 10, 2009 at 2:12 AM

I Went to Syria via Arabesk Tours Office in City Centre- Hijaz Ottoman Station- Near Saruja irea - Damascus-Syria. Arabesk Tours was so nice, has got a good services. You can contact with Arabesk Tours:www.arabesk-alafaqtours.com arabesk-syria@mail.sy Tom

• Sep 9, 2008 at 3:51 AM

The shop is very expensive. Yes the pieces are great but all the profit goes to the owner , a German woman 'Kaika'. Indeed, her relation with the wife of the president allows her to grow. This is under the rubric....development

• hivaoa1's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2008 at 2:42 PM

hello. your tips are awesome, i wanna go to damascus in a couple of months, what a wonderful country Syria must be :D

• FruitLover's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2008 at 11:20 AM

salam Camel Gang! You're the Best! I like the last story teller. Al Yehud everywhere in the world. One day I'll see.... you LOL I'm buying in Israel special dried fruits coming from Syria through Jordan....crazy M.East. Avi

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2008 at 1:30 AM

Wonderful page!Im looking at how to go from Israel-with my backup passport without Israeli stamp of course-do you think okay as sgl female?best/must go via Amman?by bus then up to Damascus?and how long does it take-poss as a 2 or 3 day trip?thank u!

• Oct 4, 2007 at 3:13 AM

I still have Stephan scarves I bought twenty five years ago. We are going back, and you have helped me find the ONE place I really want to find! All your entries are very helpful, descriptions, directions and all. Thank you.

Badges & Stats in Damascus

Have you been to Damascus?

Latest Activity in Damascus