"Syria's second city - unique and wonderful." Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo by TheWanderingCamel
Aleppo Travel Guide: 757 reviews and 1,842 photos
Sited as it is at the hub of the vast Aleppine plain, Aleppo is a fascinating, vibrant city that also serves as an excellent base from which to explore the northern areas of Syria. With its labrynthine souqs, hushed alleys of the Jdeide (Christian) Quarter, minarets and church towers, streets lined with overhanging Ottoman balconies, cemeteries and parks, whizzing traffic and busy squares, all dominated by the great Citadel sitting high on its glacis, this is a city that will linger in the mind long after the leaving.
Whichever way you head out of Aleppo, the road will lead you somewhere new and interesting. North will take you towards the Turkish border, over Roman bridges and on to lonely Cyrrhus. Head east and you will reach the mighty Euphrates. Right out on the western border there is the great 5th Century basilica at Qalb Lozeh and going south you will find the deserted villas and towns, monasteries and tombs of long-departed Byzantines known as the Dead Cities.
Whichever way you go, there will be miles and miles of olive groves, pomegranate orchards and the sweeping vistas of this rich region.
Days spent exploring out in the countryside are followed by evenings spent in the city, watching the crowds busy with their evening errands, meeting people, drinks in the bar at the famous Baron Hotel or perhaps in the little cellar bar at the Beit Wakil, lingering over delicious meals (Aleppine cuisine is considered the best in Syria) - feeling the pulse of this magic city.
Time spent here is never enough - you will want to return, and return again.
Whichever way you look, the skyline of Aleppo is speared with minarets. They come in all shapes and sizes, tall, slender... more travel advice
Aleppine cuisine is regarded as the best in Syria. With many local specialities and a some wonderful restaurants,... more travel advice
TheWanderingCamel's Related Pages
Aleppo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Aleppo is the place to be!!!"
- "Aleppo - حلب"
- "Aleppo - the Oldest City in the World"
- "Syria's second city - unique and wonderful."
- "Aleppine Photos - Dec 2006"
- "Vt-meeting at Touring Club"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aleppo
- Hotels in Aleppo
- Transportation in Aleppo
- Nightlife in Aleppo
- Restaurants in Aleppo
- Shopping in Aleppo
- Warnings and Dangers in Aleppo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aleppo
- 36 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Aleppo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aleppo
Photos in AleppoSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 73 reviews, 246 photos
- Turkey Intro, 49 reviews, 221 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 54 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 49 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 49 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 50 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 46 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 83 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue