"Beirut -a phoenix risen from the ashes" Beirut by TheWanderingCamel
Beirut Travel Guide: 925 reviews and 1,838 photos
The signs of the dreadful years of civil war are certainly still there in Beirut. Shot-up buildings, mountains of rubble, huge cleared spaces are easy to find. But the signs of recovery are just as obvious - immaculate new buildings - upmarket hotels and apartment blocks; sympathetically restored old ones; people shopping, relaxing in street cafes, taking an evening stroll along the Corniche; busy Bliss Street full of students and smart young things.
Yes, it has a feel of Mediterranean cities further west, there's no atmospheric souq to lose yourself in and ancient ruins are few and far between but there is enough of the Levant here for you to know you are still in the Middle East and Beirut is the contemporary, stylish face of the region.
Since the admission of its first students over 100 years ago, the American University of Beirut has grown to become one... more travel advice
If you're not driving yourself, you have several options for getting to places out of Beirut. Buses and microbuses go... more travel advice
TheWanderingCamel's Related Pages
Beirut Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home sweet home :-)"
- "**********MY HOME**********"
- "Beyrouth - the capital of Lebanon"
- "Beirut -a phoenix risen from the ashes"
- "BEIRUT - Independent - Free and - United"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beirut
- Hotels in Beirut
- Transportation in Beirut
- Nightlife in Beirut
- Restaurants in Beirut
- Shopping in Beirut
- Warnings and Dangers in Beirut
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beirut
- 15 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Beirut?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beirut
Photos in BeirutSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 73 reviews, 246 photos
- Turkey Intro, 49 reviews, 221 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 54 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 49 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 49 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 50 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 46 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 83 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue