"Between the mountains and the sea" Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago by TheWanderingCamel
Santiago Travel Guide: 951 reviews and 2,200 photos
Coming to the city overland from Argentina is no less dramatic. The pass across the Andes takes you to 10,000 feet and through a long tunnel. Then it's a seemingly-endless switchback of terrifying hairpin bends, down , down, down from the barren, rocky heights, through the increasingly green and lush Arconcagua Valley, its rushing river tumbling through a steep gorge and between steep banks where water-side willows give way to cactii further up the steep hillside.
Once you are in the city, the mountains are behind you - forming a dramatic backdrop to the urban sprawl - a mixture of old and new, grand and rundown, affluent and poor. To get to the sea you actually have to cross another range of mountains -the coastal cordillera. But that is for later - right now you have Santiago to explore.
Santiago is often dismissed as a rather boring, mostly modern, city with little of the glamour or colour of other South... more travel advice
Whilst the Cathedral takes up the east side of the Plaza de Armas, and small shops and restaurants most of the south and... more travel advice
TheWanderingCamel's Related Pages
Santiago Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Santiago, Chile"
- "a great place"
- "Santiago, Capital of Chile"
- "Working in Santiago"
- "Between the mountains and the sea"
- "VT Meeting in Santiago"
- "A little taste of South America"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santiago
- Hotels in Santiago
- Transportation in Santiago
- Nightlife in Santiago
- Restaurants in Santiago
- Shopping in Santiago
- Warnings and Dangers in Santiago
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santiago
- 34 Reviews
- 100 Photos
- 19 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (93)
Have you been to Santiago?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santiago
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 73 reviews, 246 photos
- Turkey Intro, 49 reviews, 221 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 54 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 49 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 49 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 50 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 46 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 83 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue