"Wild and wonderful" Top 5 Page for this destination El Calafate by TheWanderingCamel
El Calafate Travel Guide: 282 reviews and 715 photos
Photo: The mighty Perito Moreno glacier surrounded by the yellow flowers of the calafate bush.
3000 kilometres south of Buenos Aires, Argentina's capital and one of the most glamorous and stylish cities in the world, you'll find yourself in El Calafate, a little frontier town with no style at all. Set down on the edge of a vast lake, the town has little purpose but to serve the tourists who come here in their thousands each year to experience the majesty of the Parque Nacional Los Glaciares, and it shows in the mixture of tourist shops and restaurants that line the main street, the hotels and residencias that are springing up all around the lake and the surrounding low hills, and the stream of tourist buses that roll out of town each morning heading for the glaciers.
No matter whether you come to climb, trek or camp in the park, or to take in its splendours in a more passive way, you can be sure you will spend some time here. It's not the town you've come for though - El Calafate is the gateway to the wonders of the southern region of the park, some of the world's stunning glaciers, including its star act - the thundering giant of the Perito Moreno Glacier.
If you're there in Springtime (one of the best times to go) the yellow-flowering shrub that gives the town its name - the calafate - will be in bloom. Local legend says that if you eat the berries of the calafate you'll be sure to return to Patagonia - you'll have to wait until later in the summer to be able to eat them fresh, but you'll find plenty of other ways to get a taste in the sweets, jams and syrups that are sold all over town.
I don't think you have to eat them a taste for this place - it works its magic all on its own without the need for an enchanted berry.
With the long evenings of summer, late hours kept by the shops and smallness of the town , you're bound to spend more... more travel advice
Patagonia - the word conjures up images of travel to the ends of the earth, and for many, many travellers is a dream... more travel advice
TheWanderingCamel's Related Pages
El Calafate Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "El Calafate: Between the Steppe and the Ice"
- "Wild and wonderful"
- ":: El Calafate ::"
- "Perito Moreno - a breathtaking spectacle"
- "El Calafate"
- "Glaciares y Estancias / Glaciers and farms"
- "EL CALAFATE - A GLACIER WITH A CITY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in El Calafate
- Hotels in El Calafate
- Transportation in El Calafate
- Nightlife in El Calafate
- Restaurants in El Calafate
- Shopping in El Calafate
- Warnings and Dangers in El Calafate
- See All...
Badges & Stats in El Calafate
- 26 Reviews
- 72 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to El Calafate?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in El Calafate
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 73 reviews, 246 photos
- Turkey Intro, 49 reviews, 221 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 54 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 49 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 49 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 50 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 46 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 83 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue