"Lovely Mendoza days" Top 5 Page for this destination Mendoza by TheWanderingCamel
Mendoza Travel Guide: 402 reviews and 1,020 photos
wide, tree-lined country roads
and shady city streets and squares
are just some of the things that define Mendoza for me.
We came for the vineyards and and a favourite wine, a few days to relax and indulge ourselves. Our historic estancia-turned-hotel was the perfect place to start the day with a walk through the olives and vines before breakfast and to return to each evening to relax and review the day over good food and the lovely wines produced on the estate.
We'd arrived in the evening to a warm welcome, elegantly simple rooms and a stylish restaurant. We woke to find a stunningly beautiful backdrop of mountains - coolly streaked with blue and white when seen from the valley.... we couldn't wait to begin to explore - the vineyards could wait.
A day spent driving the Alta Montana Route - the road into the mountains that leads to Chile - up through a wide alpine valley - revealed iron-grey crags and dazzling white snow. Below the snowline, the mountainsides were extraordinary in their range of colour - grey, black, pink, green, golden - one, a many-hued fantasy that looked as though it had been washed by a rainbow. Photos can't begin to do it justice but when I think of all the wonderful sights we saw in Argentina, it's that mountain above all that comes first to my mind.
We actually didn't spend all that much time in Mendoza itself. Our hotel was out at Maipu - about 30km from the city centre - and most of our days were spent in the countryside. A few hours one evening, the morning of the day we left - enough time to gain a brief impression - pavement cafes in wide, tree-lined streets, some interesting buildings, trolleybuses, a street craft market, plazas and gardens, evening shoppers - a provincial city going about its business - and enough to make us feel we'd like to come back for more.
One day ...
You'll see the old custom of growing a rose bush at the end of a row of vines in places in Mendoza. White roses at the... more travel advice
Even the icy winds that blow up at Puente del Inca aren't enough to keep the hardy souls who set up shop there from... more travel advice
- Pavement hazards
- See All So good we ate there thrice
- White water rafting
- See All One day....
TheWanderingCamel's Related Pages
Mendoza Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mendoza - county of good wine and sun :-)"
- "Land of Sun, good wine and more"
- "Mendoza - A City of Trees"
- "Lovely Mendoza days"
- "An oasis in the middle of the desert"
- "5 lovely days!"
- "Montañas, vino y rosas (Mountains, wine & roses)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mendoza
- Hotels in Mendoza
- Transportation in Mendoza
- Nightlife in Mendoza
- Restaurants in Mendoza
- Shopping in Mendoza
- Warnings and Dangers in Mendoza
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mendoza
- 27 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (93)
Have you been to Mendoza?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mendoza
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 73 reviews, 246 photos
- Turkey Intro, 49 reviews, 221 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 54 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 49 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 49 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 50 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 46 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 83 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue