"Lovely Mendoza days" Top 5 Page for this destination Mendoza by TheWanderingCamel

Mendoza Travel Guide: 402 reviews and 1,039 photos

... Vines and mountains ...

wine and roses
wide, tree-lined country roads
and shady city streets and squares
are just some of the things that define Mendoza for me.

We came for the vineyards and and a favourite wine, a few days to relax and indulge ourselves. Our historic estancia-turned-hotel was the perfect place to start the day with a walk through the olives and vines before breakfast and to return to each evening to relax and review the day over good food and the lovely wines produced on the estate.

We'd arrived in the evening to a warm welcome, elegantly simple rooms and a stylish restaurant. We woke to find a stunningly beautiful backdrop of mountains - coolly streaked with blue and white when seen from the valley.... we couldn't wait to begin to explore - the vineyards could wait.

A day spent driving the Alta Montana Route - the road into the mountains that leads to Chile - up through a wide alpine valley - revealed iron-grey crags and dazzling white snow. Below the snowline, the mountainsides were extraordinary in their range of colour - grey, black, pink, green, golden - one, a many-hued fantasy that looked as though it had been washed by a rainbow. Photos can't begin to do it justice but when I think of all the wonderful sights we saw in Argentina, it's that mountain above all that comes first to my mind.

We actually didn't spend all that much time in Mendoza itself. Our hotel was out at Maipu - about 30km from the city centre - and most of our days were spent in the countryside. A few hours one evening, the morning of the day we left - enough time to gain a brief impression - pavement cafes in wide, tree-lined streets, some interesting buildings, trolleybuses, a street craft market, plazas and gardens, evening shoppers - a provincial city going about its business - and enough to make us feel we'd like to come back for more.

One day ...

leyle

• Last visit to Mendoza: Nov 2006
  • Intro Updated May 12, 2007

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Wonderful description of a place I'd love to visit someday! I'm quite fond of the Mendoza Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc, but now I'll try any Mendoza Malbec I can find around here. Cheers, Mark

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2009 at 7:29 AM

The names of some S. American cities are truly sexy... I certainly like this one :-)

• Jul 9, 2008 at 5:13 AM

Thanks for all the advice you have posted - would be good to chat so I can get an idea on how to arrange my 6 week trip later this year.

• Mendozaholidays's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2007 at 10:16 AM

Good !

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2007 at 7:58 AM

Another of your excellent pages with terrific photographs and intelligent, thorough, helpful tips. thanks ever so much.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2007 at 12:31 PM

With its excellent tips and beaut photos, your fantastic page brought back many great memories of this region ! I was surprised to learn that the bridge at Puente is now closed but it was nice to hear the Trans-Andes railway is at least 'twitching'!

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2007 at 7:36 AM

You've captioned one of your photos "fabulous scenery" - I'd agree, and this is a fabulous page! For some reason, it made me think of another trip to the Barossa. :))

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2007 at 10:31 PM

Marvellous, Leyle :-)) You really had a very good time down there with all the excellent wines you tasted :-)) And lucky you - the Andes drive with own car is better than in a bus :-) And.. blush.. thanks for your compliment :-) Fantastic finish :-)

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2007 at 7:23 AM

Very nice tips on Mendoza, Leyle. I think you may be an expert on their wines after all that 'tasting' ; ) ...the beautiful scenery must have taken your breath away at times!

• trvlrtom's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2007 at 7:14 PM

Thanks for the Mendoza tips. I'll be there for three weeks in July - perhaps an odd time to be leaving California for the southern hemisphere. I'll see how these malbecs compare with California wines, and Australian (they are getting popular here).

Badges & Stats in Mendoza

Have you been to Mendoza?

Latest Activity in Mendoza