Fergana Restaurant Tips by TheWanderingCamel
Fergana Restaurants: 2 reviews and 6 photos
The chaikhana is is central to life in Uzbekistan, and nowhere more so than in the Fergana Valley. This is where the old men come to while away the hours, drinking tea, chewing the fat with old friends, snoozing in the shade on a hot day. Families come too, several generations together - there's always room for one more on the takhta - the large low bed-cum-dais, spread with mats and cushions, a table set down in the middle. Take your shoes off and sit cross-legged (if you can), lean back against the railing at the end if you need to - the tea is coming.
Fergana chaikhanas are grand, two-storied buildings with wide verandahs on both levels, often a garden with more takhta under the trees and, if there's water near by, more takhta and maybe woven-matted booths set up - you can bring your own food and stay as long as you like.
Favorite Dish: Tea - kuk choi -green tea - unless you stipulate black - qora choi. No milk, no mint, preferably no sugar - just tea. A bowl of kishmish - raisins - is often served along with the tea.
Before you pour to drink, pour once, twice and three times into the piala - tea bowl - and return it to the pot. It's only the fourth pour that you drink. Don't fill the bowl - pour a little and pour it often. A bowl filled is a signal that it's time to leave.
Price Comparison: least expensive
Price: less than US$10
More Reviews (16)
TheWanderingCamel's Related Pages
Fergana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Uzbekistan's Golden Valley"
- "Ferghana and the Ferghana Valley"
- "A fertile land of markets and history"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fergana
- Hotels in Fergana
- Transportation in Fergana
- Restaurants in Fergana
- Shopping in Fergana
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fergana
- 17 Reviews
- 84 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Fergana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fergana
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 73 reviews, 246 photos
- Turkey Intro, 49 reviews, 221 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 54 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 49 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 49 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 50 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 46 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 83 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue