Khiva Transportation Tips by TheWanderingCamel Top 5 Page for this destination
Khiva Transportation: 7 reviews and 5 photos
Golden evening light
Khiva is some 1200 km north-west of Tashkent, and if your time in Uzbekistan is limited, flying there is an option you should consider. Most tours that take in Khiva make the flight one way, and then travel by road between Khiva, Bukhara, Samarkand and Tashkent. Flights are operated by Uzbekistan Airways, flying a variety of Russian-built aircraft. The flight takes about an hour and a half.
The airport for Khiva is actually in the nearby town of Urgench, about 35 kilometre away - DON'T let your travel agent put you in a hotel there. There is plenty of accommodation available in Khiva and Urgench has nothing to offer.
Most tour companies book their clients on an early morning flight to Urgench, with a tour of the city directly on arrival in Khiva, a night in in the city and then moving on the next day. We did this, and I would not do so again. A 7am flight means a very early wake-up call - you need to be at the airport by 5.30 - and a long, hot day in the city - exhausting! Far better, if you can, to take a later flight (currently there's one at 11.30am) arrive in Khiva in the afternoon, spend some time exploring, walk the walls that first evening - you're going to be pretty tired by end of the the second day if you take in everything there is to see here, make your way into the new city outside the walls, generally just ease yourself into the rhythm of this extraordinary place and begin to soak up the atmosphere of Central Asia as the shadows lengthen and the evening light turns the buildings to gold.
More Reviews (31)
TheWanderingCamel's Related Pages
Khiva Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Khiva - Fairy Tale of 1001 Nights"
- "Where time stood still"
- "City frozen in time"
- "Khiva - an open air museum"
- "Lost in romantic imagination for a renegade city"
- "Wellcome to Khiva!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Khiva
- Hotels in Khiva
- Transportation in Khiva
- Nightlife in Khiva
- Restaurants in Khiva
- Shopping in Khiva
- Warnings and Dangers in Khiva
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Khiva
- 32 Reviews
- 140 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 30 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (93)
Have you been to Khiva?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Khiva
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 73 reviews, 246 photos
- Turkey Intro, 49 reviews, 221 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 54 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 49 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 49 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 50 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 46 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 83 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (90)
Latest Khiva hotel reviews
- Hotel Islambek
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 28, 2013