"Temur's city" Shahrisabz by TheWanderingCamel

Shahrisabz Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 96 photos

Most people come to Shahrisabz on a day tour from Samarkand. That's what we did the first time we were here, in 2005. We found a charming provincial city, sitting at the foothills of the Zerafshan mountains, very different in atmosphere from Samarkand. There the Russian influence is quite apparent, here there's hardly any sense of it at all, for the first time we felt we were truly in Central Asia.

Once known as Kesh, and renamed Shahrisabz (Green Town) by Temur who was born here, there are several important buildings that date from Timurid times. It is not a big town and most things that you would expect to see on a day's visit are within easy walking distance of each other, no more than a leisurely twenty minute stroll along the street that leads from the statue of Temur and past the bazaar. That was fine for a first visit but it left us with a taste for more time spent simply enjoying the atmosphere of a small town going about its daily routines and so we decided, next time, we would stay a little longer.

And that is what we did. A leisurely departure and a mid-morning stop along the way saw us arrive in Shahrisabz just in time for lunch. An afternoon with our delightful guide was followed by dinner at a private house. Bed and breakfast were the one bit of Russia we encountered - the cavernous corridors and echoing dining room of the Orient Star Hotel were a definite blast from the past. An early morning stroll around the town before breakfast, the bazaar already busy, breakfast followed by a bit of retail therapy and tea with the old men already settled in at the chaikhana and then it was into the bus and off on the long drive to Bukhara.

• Last visit to Shahrisabz: Oct 2009
  • Intro Updated Nov 25, 2009

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I even have read about this area and its culture, and today it is in the news once in a while. Your trip reads like it was interesting

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2010 at 6:49 AM

Leyle, fantastic page about this gem in Uzbekistan. The soviet style Orient Star Hotel could be my sort of accomodation for a visit of the city.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2009 at 6:50 AM

How I have enjoyed "visiting" with you a part of Uzbekistan I wasn't fortunate enough to see in person. I especially loved your shopping tips, the weavers at the farm and dinner at the private house :-)

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2009 at 3:21 AM

A really interesting page about a place I would like to visit myself some day ! Dear my friend Leyle, I wish you a merry christmas and a happy new year !

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Leyle, these pages are such a joy to read. Brilliant photographs and engaging narration. Great tip about your guide. Thanks for always creating honest, interesting, and enlightening pages.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Great page, Leyle! I'm envious ;) Have only been to Buchara and Samarkand etc. in Soviet times. I'm sure I would really like this town.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Extremely interesting tips and photos of this almost un-travelled part of the world (for most tourists)! The history of Shahrisabz and surrounding area is amazing. Lucky you Leyle!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2009 at 8:51 AM

An exquisite page! Wonderful sights to see & the way of life to observe here. The opportunity to buy wonderful handicrafts makes me want to hop on a plan for this destination. I am jealous of your bookgroup friends who rec'd your wonderful gifts!!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2009 at 5:01 AM

Excellent and very informative tips on the city of Temur! Among lots of other things, I wasn't aware that the water shortage was caused by irrigation of the cotton fields.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2009 at 6:38 PM

A marvellous page Leyle- informative, well written and as always, so interesting. As you know- Mughal history & architecture are passions of mine. Its all here. Thank you. Photos are great too.

Badges & Stats in Shahrisabz

Have you been to Shahrisabz?

Latest Activity in Shahrisabz