Tashkent Favorite Tips by TheWanderingCamel Top 5 Page for this destination
Tashkent Favorites: 29 reviews and 36 photos
Favorite thing: For all that it is a city of 3 million people, Tashkent has a lovely laid-back air. The bazaars are busy and bustling, and in the evenings Broadway is jumping (literally it can seem with the loud music the Uzbeks love) but there is shady street after street in the Russian part of the city, all but deserted of traffic much of the time and you can walk for miles through wooded parks hearing little more sound than the water playing in fountains. Chaikhanas make great places to stop and watch the world go by, for tourists and locals alike. Little boys splash around in the pool outside the Mustaqlilk Maydoni Metro and old men play chess under the trees near Temur's huge equestian statue in Amir Temur Square.
The park that runs from the Opera House Square, past TsUM and along towards Kosmonavtiar metro station is the place to come if browsing among books is one of your things - there's a book market set up there most days. If sitting back on cushioned couches and drinking tea is more your scene, check out the chaikhana in the middle of the park - with its individual airy pavilions and choice of comfy Western-style armchairs or traditional Uzbek takhtas, it's a great place to rest those sightseeing-sore feet.
Favorite thing: Wild strawberries growing along the side of footpaths in Tashkent's streets and parks sum up the charm and abundent goodwill of the people we met everywhere we went in Uzbekistan. Little red jewels with a tart sweetness nestling among the leaves, growing naturally wherever they can let their runners spread, untroubled by the modern city all around them, just getting on with what they have always done through the ages. Earthquakes, invasions, tyrants have come and gone, the strawberries, like the Uzbek people have prevailed.
Favorite thing: With so much to admire in Tashkent's museums - beautiful embroidery, magnificent carpets, ceramics, exquisite jewellery, models of the countries great buildings and more - it was this faded scrap of fresco from a much older time that I found quite the most lovely thing.
Look for it in the Museum of Fine Art.
More Reviews (29)
- See All Views from the top
- See All Three noble tombs
- See All Roll up! Roll up!
- See All Lunch with the workers
TheWanderingCamel's Related Pages
Tashkent Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tashkent - full of life, color and so much charm"
- "A city rebuilt"
- "Capital of Uzbekistan"
- "A soviet-styled capital hiding some true charm"
- "Old world meets Russia"
- "Random pictures of Tashkent (1)"
- ""Stone Fortress": Uzbekistan's modern capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tashkent
- Hotels in Tashkent
- Transportation in Tashkent
- Nightlife in Tashkent
- Restaurants in Tashkent
- Shopping in Tashkent
- Warnings and Dangers in Tashkent
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tashkent
- 32 Reviews
- 85 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Tashkent?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tashkent
Photos in TashkentSee All Photos (85)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 73 reviews, 246 photos
- Turkey Intro, 49 reviews, 221 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 54 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 49 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 49 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 50 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 46 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 83 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue