"A city rebuilt" Top 5 Page for this destination Tashkent by TheWanderingCamel
Tashkent Travel Guide: 264 reviews and 578 photos
With its excellent museums, busy bazaar, shady parks, opera house, chaikhanas and public monuments there is plenty to see and do here so don't dismiss the capital of Uzbekistan (and the biggest city in Central Asia) as just another boring Soviet-era city. Allow yourself some time to both explore the city and relax into its quiet pace and charm.
Returning to Tashkent was a real pleasure. Arriving at the end of September, we were in time to catch the last days of summer, the trees still green, their shade welcome. Three weeks later, returning from our tour around the country, the first winds of autumn were enough to send showers of gold fluttering around us as we walked through the park near our hotel.
Apart from the seasonal change, the city seemed much as it had been when we first visited in 2005. A few more restaurants here, a couple of buildings gone there, the stacks of money handed over in exchange for our dollars not quite so enormous, a bit more traffic on the roads but mostly still the same. With a guide and a bus at our disposal for one of our days we saw some places time and location had excluded from our previous visit. Having made a couple of business trips to the city in the last year, MrL had sussed out others - there was more than enough to fill the days I had allocated to bookend our tour of Uzbekistan.
I had promised the group an attractive, accessible city, strongly Russian-influenced but unmistakeably Central Asian - an interesting mix and far more appealing than the guidebooks suggest. By the end of our first day - one that had included seeing the oldest Koran in existence, a walk through the heart of old Tashkent, standing on the spot that was the epicenttre of the quake that devastated the city in 1969 and a wonderful dinner at the home of one of the country's foremost ceramicists - they all agreed. It was just the start of our journey into the country that lies at the very heart of Asia.
Continue north on Rashidova from the Earthquake Memorial and you'll come to what used to be known as Victory Park, and... more travel advice
Little boys everywhere love the circus, and the lads in the photo here were no exception. This was a travelling show... more travel advice
TheWanderingCamel's Related Pages
Tashkent Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tashkent - full of life, color and so much charm"
- "A city rebuilt"
- "Capital of Uzbekistan"
- "A soviet-styled capital hiding some true charm"
- "Old world meets Russia"
- "Random pictures of Tashkent (1)"
- ""Stone Fortress": Uzbekistan's modern capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tashkent
- Hotels in Tashkent
- Transportation in Tashkent
- Nightlife in Tashkent
- Restaurants in Tashkent
- Shopping in Tashkent
- Warnings and Dangers in Tashkent
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tashkent
- 32 Reviews
- 85 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to Tashkent?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tashkent
Photos in TashkentSee All Photos (85)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 73 reviews, 246 photos
- Turkey Intro, 49 reviews, 221 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 54 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 49 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 49 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 50 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 46 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 83 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (90)
Latest Tashkent hotel reviews
- Le Meridien Tashkent Palace
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- InterContinental Tashkent
- 71 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 17, 2013
- Markaziy Hotel Tashkent
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Hotel Uzbekistan Tashkent
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Elite Hotel
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 9, 2011
- Dedeman Silk Road Hotel
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Orzu Tashkent Hotel
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2012
- Domina Shodlik Palace
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013