"Pixies, cream teas and a beautiful blue sea" Top 5 Page for this destination Cornwall by TheWanderingCamel

Cornwall Travel Guide: 1,687 reviews and 4,315 photos

I lived in Cornwall for over ten years, until I was around 20 when I rather reluctantly moved away – Cornwall is not only lacking in bright lights, but also in good jobs. I have never forgotten the time I spent there in a small village between Penzance and Land's End. At the end of my time there I was independent as far as transport was concerned, and I acted in two plays at the Minack Theatre, wandered along the strand at Porthgwarra, walked the cliff paths and visited many houses where clocks bore the names of wrecked ships.

Most of my tips here concern the extreme western end of Cornwall, with an occasional excursion north to Newquay or east and south to the Lizard Point. I'm not trying to give an enormous amount of detail, just to point out somewhere interesting, or some interesting information about a well known place.

The Scilly Islands (also known as "Scilly") are more difficult to explore, needing both time and a boat, but I did manage a couple of extended visits here as well.

Making this page has been a return to a land that is still vivid in my memory, and has been a true pleasure in itself. If I have brought something of the same pleasure to anybody who reads it then this is an extra. For once I am speaking the simple truth when I say that I am not bothered by the ratings for this!!!

All reviews and photos on this page posted by lulu - please see our Homepage note re photos.

• Intro Updated Dec 30, 2011

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Cornwall looks lovely! I plan to go there next year and hope to do some hiking along the coast. I have saved several of your tips in my tip planner!

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Cornwall has long been on my wish list, Leyle. Your page is fantastic. I especially love the Mount and the seals and it goes without saying that I would be only too happy to overindulge on the scones and pasties. Well done, as always. Kate

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Leyle, fantastic page with outstanding photos of Cornwall. I once explored the region for 5 days and have seen many places which you describe here, but I haven't heard about the RMS Mulheim shipwreck before.

• tvor's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2010 at 5:56 AM

Great tips on Cornwall. Will help quite a bit planning for our trip next spring!

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2010 at 6:19 AM

Reading your comments about the sea I understood why you like maritime museums. I regret I did not visit Cornwall, I'm sure I would love.

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2009 at 11:25 PM

great page here. I loved those beaches, castles and mermaid story. Tips & photos are great too. I liked Cornwall in your way. Greetings from Turkey. Bora

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Oh wow, Lulu, this is like walking through a fairy tale book: stone circles, mermaid legends, dances with pagan roots :-) The guest house looks fantastic to me and the pastries are similar to empanadas... now I am hungry, lol .-)

• ardnas67's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2008 at 10:34 AM

enjoyed your tips about Cornwall! I put them in my saving map for my vacation next year! Thanks, greeting Sandra

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2008 at 4:09 AM

Very enjoyable, I can see we'll have to continue beyond Devon next time we're in the UK! Reading of the tin miners made me think of Moonta.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2007 at 6:47 PM

Great page! I have an antique"travel" book written around 1909 by the Great Western Railway called "Where to Stay in the West Country" & many places you write about are mentioned in it! We visited Looe in 1984--very scenic!

Badges & Stats in Cornwall

Have you been to Cornwall?

Latest Activity in Cornwall