"Carcassonne - medieval heaven" Top 5 Page for this destination Carcassonne by Aleyd

Carcassonne Travel Guide: 477 reviews and 1,389 photos

Carcassonne at Night

When I started to plan my trip to Europe I was tossing up whether to spend the time and money to go all the way from Paris to Carcassonne and back up to Paris. A friend from the medieval group I'm in told me it was the highlight of his trip to Europe. This sealed my decision. I was going to get to Carcassonne no matter what. Despite my very high expectations of the Old City, I was not disappointed at all. In fact, Carcassonne exceeded all of my expectations.

Carcassonne is one of the few places I've found where you can get the exact same views you see in the postcards. And, in real life, she is even more beautiful and awe-inspiring than any photo shows. Well worth the long train trip from Paris.

View over Vineyard to Old Cite

I was able to have 2 full and 2 part days in Carcassonne. This gave me the chance to wander further afield, and get some lovely views back to the Old City.

View up to Ramparts

This section of the ramparts (near the Porte d'Aude) is my favourite view of Carcassonne. I would return here every day and night and just soak in the atmosphere.

• Pros:Beautiful views up to city walls at night. Can walk everywhere (in, on and around walls and city).
  • Cons:Main streets crowded when tour buses and campervans hit during the day.
  • In a nutshell:Medieval heaven - loved just wandering inside and outside old city.
  • Last visit to Carcassonne: Aug 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 3, 2006

• Jerelis's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2011 at 2:01 AM

Thank you for your extensive tips an beautiful pictures. I have been to this magical place this summer, this brings back good memories. Thanx for sharing!

• leecouk12324's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2007 at 5:51 PM

Reminds me of the city of Tallinn wiht the city walls lit up at night - Tallinn is very beautiful too - although Tallinn is not considered the most safe place at night - pity.

• May 27, 2007 at 7:14 AM

Ever been to Dubrovnik, in Croatia? It is very impressive also and in a more medieval way. Carcassonne is kinda too holywoodish... but nonentheless an excellently preserved city, as it is Mdina from Malta for example.

• ettenaj's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2007 at 8:53 AM

Brilliant pictures cant wait to go 28/04/07

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2007 at 7:18 PM

hi have read thru your pages a few times over the lasts couple of weeks - thanks for the inspiration to go visit! im rather castle mad i admit, but had put this idea on hold - but not for much longer!

• 1courage's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2007 at 12:37 PM

Well, Carcassone has become not only by case one of the worlds most famous castles. The night picture you`ve shared is simply outsanding! I`m sure that it`s even much nicer when you`re there. Thanks for the great page!

• hevbell's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2006 at 8:04 AM

nice page! Reading a book that is partly set here so its really nice to have an idea what its like :) great photos!

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2006 at 10:32 PM

very interesting page, thanx for sharing

• VdV's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2006 at 1:34 PM

My Mom and I went there (she's been twice) but were not able to capture it on film as beautifully as you have. Really nice shots!

• DPando's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2006 at 2:44 AM

i enjoyed alot as well there 300km away from Barcelona!! such a gorgeous place!! indeed

Aleyd

“Traveling tends to magnify all human emotions. — Peter Hoeg”

Badges & Stats in Carcassonne

Have you been to Carcassonne?

Latest Activity in Carcassonne