"Deep in La Mancha" Almagro by gmg61
Almagro Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 44 photos
Almagro - in the heart of Campo de Calatrava, 22 km from Ciudad Real and 200 km from Madrid - is a nice, quiet town in the heart of La Mancha where you can feel the real spirit of this country: lovely gardens, majestic stone buildings, the surprising Plaza Mayor, nice farmhaouses where you can overnight, nice people and good tapas bars.
But it's not only matter of spirit and food.
Almagro hosts beuatiful monuments; apart from the Plaza Mayor, you can't miss a visit to the Corral de Comedias, one of the oldest theaters in Europe.
Others sightseeings are the Plaza de Toros, one of the most ancient of Spain, being built in 1845 and the churches and cloisters.
Almagro became famous thanks to the Orden del Calatrava, whose masters, in the XIII century, chose it as residence and governmental center.
In 1273 the king Alfonso X held the Cortes in Almagro.
Later, the financial troubles of the emperor Carlos V were partly solved by the German bankers Fugger, who were exploiting the mines of Almadén and moved to Almagro together with their administrators and gave the city a new shape, building the Plaza Mayor.
If you want to spend one night in Almagro you cant' miss this beautiful old mansion with inner patios and rooms with old... more travel advice
This church is not a masterpiece, but with its red brick walls stands strongly just at the side of the green and white... more travel advice
gmg61's Related Pages
Almagro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Deep in La Mancha"
- "Almagro, city of popular theatre"
- "Beauty is not enough"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Almagro
- Hotels in Almagro
- Transportation in Almagro
- Nightlife in Almagro
- Restaurants in Almagro
- Shopping in Almagro
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Almagro
- 6 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Almagro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Almagro
Top 10 Pages
- Trieste Intro, 11 reviews, 63 photos, 3 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 26 reviews, 27 photos
- Ravello Intro, 7 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scuol Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Marrakesh Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melbourne Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 11 photos
- Rome 12 reviews, 5 photos
- Split Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Vietri sul Mare 2 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue