"The stage of he who heals the stone with his hands" Congonhas by peace_prevails
Congonhas Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 29 photos
Congonhas became a UN World Heritage Site in 1985. The sculpture in Congonhas consists of :
(i) the Bom Jesus Church (1772);
(ii) the parvis with the 12 statues of the prophets (1800-1805); and
(iii) the 6 chapels containing the 7 stations of the cross (1796-1800).
What is incredible, if you don't know the story, is that 'Aleijadinho' - literally, 'little cripple' , the son of a Portuguese architect and a black slave, did not have use of his hands and legs due to (probably) leprosy. He did many works here, and in Ouro Preto - the lands of the Tiradentes.
There is a restaurant down the hill and on the left (it is blue and white) that was not bad, although a little pricey.... more travel advice
peace_prevails' Related Pages
Congonhas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The City of Aleijadinho"
- "A must for Aleijadinho fans."
- "THE "BOM JESUS DE MATOSINHOS" BASILICA"
- "The stage of he who heals the stone with his hands"
- "Colonial town with statues of Aleijadinho"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Congonhas
- 2 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Congonhas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Congonhas
- Posted in Travel China Forum "Re: Chinese Visa Questions"
- updated a Congonhas Travel Page "The stage of he who heals the stone with his hands"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The stage of he who heals the stone with his hands"
- Wrote a Review Food at Congonhas in Congonhas Restaurants
Photos in CongonhasSee All Photos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Brazil Intro, 28 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- São Francisco do Sul Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ouro Prêto Intro, 2 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- São Paulo Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Natal Intro, 1 review, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- São Luís Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 6 reviews, 5 photos
- Estado do Ceará Intro, 1 review, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Estado do Maranhão Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Estado do Rio Grande do Sul Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.