Puerto Rico, Island of Things to Do Tips by Foriano
Puerto Rico, Island of Things to Do: 2 reviews and 2 photos
President Theodore Roosevelt [USA] established a bird refuge on Culebra February 27, 1909, making it one of the oldest refuges in the system. Since then much of the island and the surrounding 23 islets, including Culebrita, have been protected by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service as a nature preserve, making the islands one of only two nesting sites for giant sea turtles, including the leatherback, in the U.S. The Culebra National Wildlife Refuge, 600 ha, protects large colonies of sea birds (approx. 85 species), particularly terns, red-billed tropic birds and boobies.
Aerial view of Flamenco Beach
Of all the truly gorgeous beaches on the island of Culebra, nine miles off the main island's eastern coast, Flamenco leads the pack. This island municipality is a paradise of beaches so perfect they are almost impossible to believe.
The crowning jewel is Flamenco Beach, recently named one of the Best Beaches in America and Best Escape Beach by the Travel Channel. A magnificent mile or so of pure white coral sand framed by Culebra's arid, sun-toasted hills, it is protected as a Marine Wildlife Reserve by the Department of Natural and Environmental Resources. Here, you can escape from the crowds, jet skis and motorized sea vessels found on many of the major beaches on the main island of Puerto Rico.
Flamenco is only one of many unspoiled, pristine beaches on Culebra where you can enjoy blissful solitude as you swim in the blue green waters or explore some of the most stunning coral reef formations in the Caribbean.
Until 1975 Culebra was used for naval military exercises. Abandoned tanks and other military relics dot the area west of Flamenco Beach. If you tire of taking perfect beach scenes, you'll find interesting photographic material among the remnants of naval machinery.
More Reviews (5)
Foriano's Related Pages
Puerto Rico, Island of Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Caribbean Cruise Excursion"
- "San Juan & My Favorites Places in the Island"
- "Came, Saw, and Conquered!"
- "My visit to Puerto Rico in 1997"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Puerto Rico, Island of
- Hotels in Puerto Rico, Island of
- Nightlife in Puerto Rico, Island of
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kato Lakatamia Hotels
- Islamabad Capital Territory Hotels
- Kinston Hotels
- Province of Cebu
- Meppel Hotels
- Provincia de Puerto Plata
Badges & Stats in Puerto Rico, Island of
- 7 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Puerto Rico, Island of?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Puerto Rico, Island of
Top 10 Pages
- Orlando Intro, 13 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Naples Intro, 7 reviews, 21 photos
- Cocoa Beach Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos
- Eden Prairie Intro, 15 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Branson Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Marco Island Intro, 3 reviews, 12 photos
- Puerto Rico, Island of Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos
- Shakopee Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos
- Naples Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Minnetonka Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos