"Revolutionary and Civil War History" Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond by Hopkid
Richmond Travel Guide: 843 reviews and 1,309 photos
I've been living in Richmond since 1997 having moved here from southern California. It is a nice sized city with about 200,000 in the city proper and about 600,000 additional folks spread out over several surrounding counties. Traffic isn't a problem here and housing remains affordable, although that has changed a bit during the past 5 years.
Richmond was founded as the most upstream settement in the late 17th century where traders would come to deal their goods which would be loaded onto boats that would sail down the James River into the Chesapeake Bay and points beyond. Rapids in the river do not allow boats to travel further upstream. These days the rapids provide a challenge to kayakers.
Richmond has a lot of historical and otherwise interesting sites. It had a hand in the fight for independence from England in the 18th century, serving as the location for the Second Virginia Convention in 1775 where the question of cessation from England was hotly debated. Notable attendees were Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, and Patrick Henry, who made his "Give me liberty or give me death" speech at St. John's Church. During the Civil War, Richmond served as the Confederate capital, only 120 miles from the Union capital in Washington. There is a great Civil War Battlefield Visitor Center run by the National Park Sevice here, as well as the Museum of the Confederacy and the Confederate White House.
The people here are friendly and it's generally a nice place to live. I will be adding information on this page as I embark on a photo project of my own to document where I live. So come back and check on my progress! I'm hoping to get a lot of restaurant tips on here and I'm giving them titles so the reader will be able to see at first glance what part of town an eating establishment is in. I think that will be helpful to those looking for somewhere convenient to dine. Let me know if that works for you.
Through the efforts of the infamous b1bob (aka Nat), at mini-TV meeting was held in Richmond on 11 October 2005 in honor of the visit of karnubawax (aka David) who was visiting from San Francisco to see the NASCAR race that weekend. Also joining us was gipper84 (aka Lee). We met in Carytown and had a very nice time walking through this shopping/eating district and then having some good BBQ at Double T's BBQ. Afterwards Nat and Lee took David on a mini-tour of some of Richmond's main attractions while I attended to some errands I told Rita I would run while out and about.
It was great meeting you David, Nat, and Lee!
- Pros:Easy living, no traffic, lots of history
- Cons:Loss of historical buildings, suburban growth, humid summers!
The Byrd Theater is a wonderful old theater built during the golden age of cinema in the U.S. It opened in 1928 and... more travel advice
The Dance Space is a friendly and inviting place to dance! Every Saturday (except the rare 5th Saturday) is a swing... more travel advice
Hopkid's Related Pages
Richmond Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Richmond, VA"
- "PAGE DEDICATED TO NAT (b1bob on VT)"
- "richmond, virginia"
- "Revolutionary and Civil War History"
- "Richmond (A city of diverse history)"
- "A wonderful walk through Richmond"
- "The Rise and Fall and Rise of Richmond"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Richmond
- Hotels in Richmond
- Transportation in Richmond
- Nightlife in Richmond
- Restaurants in Richmond
- Shopping in Richmond
- Warnings and Dangers in Richmond
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Richmond
- 40 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Richmond?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Richmond
- Posted in Travel Richmond Forum "Re: Where should we stay?"
- Commented on one of spartan's Richmond travel pages
- Wrote a Review Good, affordable neighborhood restaurant in Richmond Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Second Run Movies for Cheap!"
- updated a Richmond Travel Page "Revolutionary and Civil War History"
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 53 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antigua Guatemala Intro, 47 reviews, 157 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 52 reviews, 97 photos
- Boston Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 40 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Memphis Intro, 20 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panajachel Intro, 21 reviews, 45 photos