"Revolutionary and Civil War History" Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond by Hopkid

Richmond Travel Guide: 843 reviews and 1,309 photos

I've been living in Richmond since 1997 having moved here from southern California. It is a nice sized city with about 200,000 in the city proper and about 600,000 additional folks spread out over several surrounding counties. Traffic isn't a problem here and housing remains affordable, although that has changed a bit during the past 5 years.

Richmond was founded as the most upstream settement in the late 17th century where traders would come to deal their goods which would be loaded onto boats that would sail down the James River into the Chesapeake Bay and points beyond. Rapids in the river do not allow boats to travel further upstream. These days the rapids provide a challenge to kayakers.

Richmond has a lot of historical and otherwise interesting sites. It had a hand in the fight for independence from England in the 18th century, serving as the location for the Second Virginia Convention in 1775 where the question of cessation from England was hotly debated. Notable attendees were Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, and Patrick Henry, who made his "Give me liberty or give me death" speech at St. John's Church. During the Civil War, Richmond served as the Confederate capital, only 120 miles from the Union capital in Washington. There is a great Civil War Battlefield Visitor Center run by the National Park Sevice here, as well as the Museum of the Confederacy and the Confederate White House.

The people here are friendly and it's generally a nice place to live. I will be adding information on this page as I embark on a photo project of my own to document where I live. So come back and check on my progress! I'm hoping to get a lot of restaurant tips on here and I'm giving them titles so the reader will be able to see at first glance what part of town an eating establishment is in. I think that will be helpful to those looking for somewhere convenient to dine. Let me know if that works for you.

Mini-VT Meeting

Through the efforts of the infamous b1bob (aka Nat), at mini-TV meeting was held in Richmond on 11 October 2005 in honor of the visit of karnubawax (aka David) who was visiting from San Francisco to see the NASCAR race that weekend. Also joining us was gipper84 (aka Lee). We met in Carytown and had a very nice time walking through this shopping/eating district and then having some good BBQ at Double T's BBQ. Afterwards Nat and Lee took David on a mini-tour of some of Richmond's main attractions while I attended to some errands I told Rita I would run while out and about.

It was great meeting you David, Nat, and Lee!

• Pros:Easy living, no traffic, lots of history
  • Cons:Loss of historical buildings, suburban growth, humid summers!
  • Intro Updated Jan 29, 2006

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2009 at 3:32 PM

You have presented a great depiction of this fine city. I have not been here in 30 years, but it was good then,m and now.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2008 at 5:24 AM

Nice page Andy!

• ellielou's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2008 at 7:33 AM

It's in Tampa and part of my great Southern Strategy trip. Driving down in two days, and taking in sights on way home. Will have to have a Richmond strategy very soon.....for sales and to visit.....

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Trying....working on pages that are quite old...not even thinking about starting new ones...well, one or two :) I'll be back to Hawaii yet again this year...love that place!!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Interesting tips on the attractions of your home-(for the last ten years)-town. But it's too bad about McDonalds being near those big children's attractions. In Berlin there was a huge protest recently because McD opened across the street from a school.

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2007 at 10:32 AM

I lived in Arlington, VA for about 13 years and NEVER ventured on the Blue Ridge Parkway! First time I did was in November and it was the N Carolina side. I hear it's prettier... Don't know about that.

• diosh's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2007 at 1:20 AM

Do you ever bump into Patricia Cornwell (or Scarpetta!),one of my favourite authors of that genre.

• MissyWQ's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2007 at 5:30 PM

Thanks for all the wonderful information and photos. My childhood was spent between Monument Avenue and the Byrd Theatre on W. Cary.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2006 at 7:04 AM

I really, really liked this page! I'm from Virginia's Tidewater area but I like Richmond. Great restaurant and to-do tips. Could you add something on Monument Ave/blvd.?

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2006 at 9:17 AM

Hope you and Rita have a wonderful Thanksgiving, I know that you will eat well ;-)

Hopkid Lives Here!

Hopkid

“I may not be able to see it all, but I can die trying!”

Badges & Stats in Richmond

Have you been to Richmond?