"This is Thomas Jefferson Country..." Top 5 Page for this destination Charlottesville by Hopkid
Charlottesville Travel Guide: 300 reviews and 791 photos
The seat of government of Albemarle County and founded in the 18th century, Charlottesville is a great little town nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Named for Princess Charlotte, wife of King George III of England, it is probably most famous as the location of the home of Thomas Jefferson, the man who wrote the U.S. Declaration of Independence, was the third president of the U.S., and who originated and organized the western exploration of the newly purchased Louisiana Territory that was headed by Merriweather Clark and William Clark. He also founded the University of Virginia, which today is regarded as one of the finest public universities in the country.
C'ville is mainly a college town of approximately 45,000 people and is often rated as one of the best small cities in which to live. Besides Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson, there are other historical sites and some interesting restaurants as well. My tips here will cover some restaurants and hotels with the tourist traveler in mind. I hope they help!
- Pros:Quaint, pretty setting, interesting history
- Cons:UVA students dressed in shorts, blazers, and orange and blue bow ties
- In a nutshell:A great little town with lots of charm in a beautiful setting
The Red Roof Inn is very centally located and convenient to the UVA campus. It is located right in the heart of the... more travel advice
Located on the Downtown Mall, the Greek-Revival Paramount Theater was opened in 1931. The interior details evoke a time... more travel advice
Hopkid's Related Pages
Charlottesville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The best place to live in the USA?"
- "This is Thomas Jefferson Country..."
- "Jefferson's Charlottesville"
- "Charlottesville, Main Attractions, Three of Them"
- "Charlottesville - Thomas Jefferson's Hometown"
- "STATELY MONTICELLO!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Charlottesville
- Hotels in Charlottesville
- Transportation in Charlottesville
- Nightlife in Charlottesville
- Restaurants in Charlottesville
- Shopping in Charlottesville
- Warnings and Dangers in Charlottesville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Charlottesville
- 13 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Charlottesville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Charlottesville
- Posted in Travel Richmond Forum "Re: Where should we stay?"
- Commented on one of BillNJ's Charlottesville travel pages
- updated a Charlottesville Travel Page "This is Thomas Jefferson Country..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "This is Thomas Jefferson Country..."
- Wrote a Review Close to UVA on the Corner in Charlottesville Hotels
Photos in CharlottesvilleSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 53 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antigua Guatemala Intro, 47 reviews, 157 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 52 reviews, 97 photos
- Boston Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 40 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Memphis Intro, 20 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panajachel Intro, 21 reviews, 45 photos