"Graceland, Music, and BBQ!" Top 5 Page for this destination Memphis by Hopkid
Memphis Travel Guide: 757 reviews and 1,733 photos
Only six of us met up in Memphis for this annual reunion of grad school friends who went through the environmental engineering program at the University of Iowa. Rita and I made it a full three-day weekend, flying in early on Friday and meeting up with friends Linda and Bill. As is the norm with us, our first order of business was breakfast and we had a place all picked out...The Arcade, a Memphis institution on Main Street. And is certainly didn't disappoint. We splurged on this trip as well, staying at the venerable Peabody Hotel with its ducks and history.
Our whirlwind visit consisted of taking in some of the main sites that Memphis has to offer from the National Civil Rights Museum and Gibson Guitar Factory to Sun Records and, of course, Graceland. Rita and I had been to Graceland once before when we drove through Memphis when we moved to Richmond in 1997. However we didn't do the tour because we had our dog, Sally, with us and it was much too hot to leave her in the car, not that we would leave her in the car alone under any circumstances. So it was good to finally get back and pay homage to the King.
We also experienced the nightlife on Beale Street, sampling the sounds of the many live music venues and drinking Big Ass Beers on tap. And what would a trip to Memphis be without sampling some of their world famous BBQ?! We went to probably 3 of the more well-known joints: Rendevous, Corky's, and Interstate. All had their good points and were different enough in their approach to BBQ cuisine. We'd have to say that for wet BBQ, Interstate was the hands-down winner. For dry I'd have to go with Rendevous. Their seasoned dry rub ribs were simply fantastic! We did eat at a couple of non-BBQ places (Encore, Barksdale, and the aforementioned Arcade) as well and I ended up gaining 4 pounds over the weekend. Egads! Here is my consensus of the three Memphis BBQ places we ate at:
Favorite dry ribs: Rendevous
Favorite wet shoulder: Interstate
Favorite wet ribs: Mmmmmm, probably Rendevous but only because I had to eat Interstate's on an airplane.
Best side dish: Corky's homemade chips
- Pros:Great BBQ, live music, and museums
- Cons:Can't really think of anything
- In a nutshell:A nice place for a vacation!
Located in the lobby of the Peabody Hotel, Lansky has great vintage-style clothes for men. Shirts, trousers, hats,... more travel advice
One of the most famous traditions in Memphis are the ducks at the Peabody Hotel. If you go to the lobby and the great... more travel advice
Hopkid's Related Pages
Memphis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Hometown, USA, Memphis, Tennessee"
- "Home of the Blues & Birthplace of Rock 'n Roll"
- "Graceland, Music, and BBQ!"
- "Ducks, Grizzlies and Kings"
- "Down Home Memphis Hospitality & Pride"
- "Memphis, Tennessee"
- "Graceland In Memphis"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Memphis
- Hotels in Memphis
- Transportation in Memphis
- Nightlife in Memphis
- Restaurants in Memphis
- Shopping in Memphis
- Warnings and Dangers in Memphis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Memphis
- 20 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Memphis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Memphis
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 53 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antigua Guatemala Intro, 47 reviews, 157 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 52 reviews, 97 photos
- Boston Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 40 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Memphis Intro, 20 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panajachel Intro, 21 reviews, 45 photos