"Graceland, Music, and BBQ!" Top 5 Page for this destination Memphis by Hopkid

Memphis Travel Guide: 706 reviews and 1,598 photos

Annual Grad School Reunion

Only six of us met up in Memphis for this annual reunion of grad school friends who went through the environmental engineering program at the University of Iowa. Rita and I made it a full three-day weekend, flying in early on Friday and meeting up with friends Linda and Bill. As is the norm with us, our first order of business was breakfast and we had a place all picked out...The Arcade, a Memphis institution on Main Street. And is certainly didn't disappoint. We splurged on this trip as well, staying at the venerable Peabody Hotel with its ducks and history.

Our whirlwind visit consisted of taking in some of the main sites that Memphis has to offer from the National Civil Rights Museum and Gibson Guitar Factory to Sun Records and, of course, Graceland. Rita and I had been to Graceland once before when we drove through Memphis when we moved to Richmond in 1997. However we didn't do the tour because we had our dog, Sally, with us and it was much too hot to leave her in the car, not that we would leave her in the car alone under any circumstances. So it was good to finally get back and pay homage to the King.

We also experienced the nightlife on Beale Street, sampling the sounds of the many live music venues and drinking Big Ass Beers on tap. And what would a trip to Memphis be without sampling some of their world famous BBQ?! We went to probably 3 of the more well-known joints: Rendevous, Corky's, and Interstate. All had their good points and were different enough in their approach to BBQ cuisine. We'd have to say that for wet BBQ, Interstate was the hands-down winner. For dry I'd have to go with Rendevous. Their seasoned dry rub ribs were simply fantastic! We did eat at a couple of non-BBQ places (Encore, Barksdale, and the aforementioned Arcade) as well and I ended up gaining 4 pounds over the weekend. Egads! Here is my consensus of the three Memphis BBQ places we ate at:

Favorite dry ribs: Rendevous
Favorite wet shoulder: Interstate
Favorite wet ribs: Mmmmmm, probably Rendevous but only because I had to eat Interstate's on an airplane.
Best side dish: Corky's homemade chips

• Pros:Great BBQ, live music, and museums
  • Cons:Can't really think of anything
  • In a nutshell:A nice place for a vacation!
  • Last visit to Memphis: Jun 2006
  • Intro Updated Jun 23, 2006

• davequ's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2010 at 7:58 PM

A delicious tour of Memphis. Thankyouverymuch!! angelfire.com/bc/translink/i...

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2007 at 9:04 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed this "5 Star" page on Memphis. Having been to the city several times, and once stayed at the Peabody Hotel, it brought back many great memories. Would you believe I actually met Elvis in front of Graceland in 1958, when I was 13.

• ellielou's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2006 at 1:54 PM

...or, in Kansas City! (where I lived!) if the Italian is really great, well, that's on the 'list.' we've some time to decide! how fun!

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2006 at 7:07 PM

There's more :-) You didn't think the Jungle Room was tacky and garish? There was carpeting on the walls!!!!! I'm amazed anyone in the south lives to be more than 25 with their diet ;-)

• imlikeabird's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2006 at 6:39 PM

We stayed at the Peabody in December and it was wonderful! I, for one, loved the jungle room.

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2006 at 8:56 PM

I hope there will be more to this. What is a sock-it-to-me cake?

• Small_World's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2006 at 8:49 PM

Your restaurant tips brought back memories--If I ever planned a trip anywhere near Memphis, I'd make sure the route included a stop at The Rendezvous. Nice tips!

Hopkid

“I may not be able to see it all, but I can die trying!”

Badges & Stats in Memphis

Have you been to Memphis?

Latest Activity in Memphis