"Beautiful Landscape" Rapid City by Hopkid
Rapid City Travel Guide: 89 reviews and 155 photos
I've been to Rapid City three times in my life. First was back in 1991 when we were moving from Iowa to California. The main thing I remember from that trip was that it was boiling hot as it was in July. We only went into Badlands National Park to the first or second overlook before heading back to I-90 and dinner in Wall at the famous drug "store". Then we resumed our trek to Rapid where we had planned to spend the night. We drove all day direct from Iowa City...probably around 12 hours. Man, my car's AC was beat after that day! The next morning we hit Mt. Rushmore and then headed back to town to catch I-90 and resume our trek west. Pretty much a whirlwind of a visit.
The past couple of years I've had to return to Rapid for work, first in 2003 and then again in 2005. In '03 my co-workers and I stayed at a nice B&B on the main road between Rapid and the Mt. Rushmore area. It was the summer season and we saw the lighting ceremony at Mt. Rushmore and I marveled at the major renovations that had been completed since my previous visit. Lots and lots of tourists!
I just returned from my last trip there. My co-worker and I finished our work early one day so we high-tailed it out to Badlands National Park (~ 1.5 hours east of Rapid) where I was able, this time, to take a more leisurely drive through the park. Then we sped to Mt. Rushmore (30 minutes south of Rapid) to get there before the visitor's center closed (got there with 15 minutes to spare). This time I made the little loop trek that takes you to the base of the mountain. There were snow flurries that day but it was mostly devoid of tourists and there were deer and mountain goats freely roaming the grounds. Nice!
- Pros:Beautiful landscapes: Black Hills, Badlands, prairie
- Cons:A bit touristy on the road to Mt. Rushmore
- In a nutshell:Ya gotta go to see Mt. Rushmore!
These are really fun and spark interest in the National Park Service system. The brainchild of a marketing genius, the... more travel advice
It's the one thing that everyone HAS to do if you're in Rapid City. You've heard about it since you were a little kid... more travel advice
Hopkid's Related Pages
Rapid City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Black Hills"
- "Tourist town! And fun"
- "The Hub of the Black Hills"
- "The Start of the Northwest"
- "Basaic Rapid City Page"
- "Rapid City"
- "Beautiful Landscape"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rapid City
- Hotels in Rapid City
- Transportation in Rapid City
- Nightlife in Rapid City
- Restaurants in Rapid City
- Shopping in Rapid City
- Warnings and Dangers in Rapid City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rapid City
- 8 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Rapid City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rapid City
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 53 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antigua Guatemala Intro, 47 reviews, 157 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 52 reviews, 97 photos
- Boston Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 40 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Memphis Intro, 20 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panajachel Intro, 21 reviews, 45 photos