"Beautiful Landscape" Rapid City by Hopkid

Rapid City Travel Guide: 84 reviews and 112 photos

I've been to Rapid City three times in my life. First was back in 1991 when we were moving from Iowa to California. The main thing I remember from that trip was that it was boiling hot as it was in July. We only went into Badlands National Park to the first or second overlook before heading back to I-90 and dinner in Wall at the famous drug "store". Then we resumed our trek to Rapid where we had planned to spend the night. We drove all day direct from Iowa City...probably around 12 hours. Man, my car's AC was beat after that day! The next morning we hit Mt. Rushmore and then headed back to town to catch I-90 and resume our trek west. Pretty much a whirlwind of a visit.

The past couple of years I've had to return to Rapid for work, first in 2003 and then again in 2005. In '03 my co-workers and I stayed at a nice B&B on the main road between Rapid and the Mt. Rushmore area. It was the summer season and we saw the lighting ceremony at Mt. Rushmore and I marveled at the major renovations that had been completed since my previous visit. Lots and lots of tourists!

I just returned from my last trip there. My co-worker and I finished our work early one day so we high-tailed it out to Badlands National Park (~ 1.5 hours east of Rapid) where I was able, this time, to take a more leisurely drive through the park. Then we sped to Mt. Rushmore (30 minutes south of Rapid) to get there before the visitor's center closed (got there with 15 minutes to spare). This time I made the little loop trek that takes you to the base of the mountain. There were snow flurries that day but it was mostly devoid of tourists and there were deer and mountain goats freely roaming the grounds. Nice!

• Pros:Beautiful landscapes: Black Hills, Badlands, prairie
  • Cons:A bit touristy on the road to Mt. Rushmore
  • In a nutshell:Ya gotta go to see Mt. Rushmore!
  • Last visit to Rapid City: Apr 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 21, 2005

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2006 at 12:48 PM

There is that damn mountain goat again! ;-]

• Sagespot's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2006 at 11:36 AM

I just had to stop by and say thanks for the recommendation to take the Badlands Scenic Loop! I just returned from the Black Hills and ended my journey with a trip through the Badlands. It was SO beautiful! Thanks a ton! Cheers - Sage

Hopkid

“I may not be able to see it all, but I can die trying!”

Badges & Stats in Rapid City

Have you been to Rapid City?

Latest Activity in Rapid City