"Stockyards and Cannon AFB (for now)" Top 5 Page for this destination Clovis by Hopkid

Clovis Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 34 photos

Clovis is in east central New Mexico well south of I-40 about 3 hours west of Lubbock, Texas. To get there you can either fly into Lubbock or Albuquerque. The drive from ABQ is a bit longer at 3.5 hours. Clovis isn't much although it has a small zoo and a local community that is mainly supported by Cannon Air Force Base (which as of this writing is on the preliminary list for closure under the Department of Defense's Base Realignment and Closure Act. I've been to Cannon twice during my work with Headquarters Air Combat Command and I can say that there isn't a whole lot to do there but I'll add some tips here to direct you to a couple of restaurants, a decent hotel, and some sites of interest that I was able to dig up during my stays.

• Pros:Umm...I'm thinking!
  • Cons:Just not a very exciting place
  • In a nutshell:Not a bad place but not exactly a tourist destination either
  • Last visit to Clovis: Apr 2005
  • Intro Written Jul 17, 2005

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2006 at 6:43 PM

Billy the Kid's grave would be and the fort would be interesting to see. I was in Clovis MANY years ago, but remember little except that it was hot and dusty. Nice page.

• Jan 28, 2006 at 1:41 PM

My husband and I will be relocating to Cannon AFB from Orange County, CA in march or April...Have any tips?

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2005 at 5:51 PM

Great tip, Andy. As a muso myself, this really interests me. Buddy Holly's recording studio - now that has to be something to see. fergy.

Hopkid

“I may not be able to see it all, but I can die trying!”

Badges & Stats in Clovis