"Lihue - Capital of the Garden Isle" Top 5 Page for this destination Lihue by Hopkid

Lihue Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 38 photos

We have joined my family twice in rented homes on the north shore of Kauai in Haena. The area is a really great place on the main road past Hanalei towards the end of the road where the Na Pali Coast starts, about a 45-60-minute drive from Lihue. The first home we rented was right on the beach and was actually next door to a home owned by Pierce Brosnan (no, he wasn't there during our stay).

As anyone who visits Kauai, we flew into and out of Lihue. On our first visit the day we flew in we got great local take out that we took back to the house for dinner in town. We also had lunch at a great saimin place the day we flew to Oahu. The saimin place, Hamura Saimin is a tip here. I can't remember the name of the take out place unfortunately. Our second visit required a return to Hamura Saimin and upon a recommendation from a friend we checked out the handful of shops at Kilohana Plantation which have some great quality arts and crafts. A visitor looking for a good selection of locally-produced (all of Hawaii) arts and crafts to take home won't be disappointed with these shops.

Go to Kauai and enjoy the relaxed pace of life there. It's intoxicating!

• Pros:Easy in and out of airport
  • Cons:If you take it easy there aren't any!
  • In a nutshell:A gateway to paradise!
  • Last visit to Lihue: Apr 2007
  • Intro Updated Apr 16, 2007

Comments

Hopkid

“I may not be able to see it all, but I can die trying!”

Badges & Stats in Lihue