Honolulu Sports & Outdoors Tips by Hopkid Top 5 Page for this destination
Honolulu Sports & Outdoors: 28 reviews and 59 photos
Surfing lessons are fun and aren't as scary as you might think. Taking lessons in Waikiki on Central Beach is just about the most perfect place for the first-timer. The waves are gentle and abundant, the break isn't too far out, and even then it's mostly shallow enough that you can stand on the bottom and not have to worry too much about drowning. Plus they give you a gigantic board that is very stable and helps out quite a bit in allowing the learner to stand relatively quickly.
We went with the first outfit on the beach as you walk towards Diamond Head down Kalakaua Avenue at the Waikiki Beach Center just past the Moana Surfrider Hotel. Philip was our instructor, an old kane who's obviously been around the block a few times. But he was trim and fit...a testament to his lifelong hobby of surfing. He kept the instruction simple and basic and we were in the water within 10 minutes. His goal was not to get us to be perfect surfers but to get on a wave and stand on our boards. That's the ultimate goal anyway right? And dang if we (me, brother-in-law, niece, and nephew) didn't all stand on the first time out! It was a total blast and I would recommend it to any and all. Only $35 for an hour's lesson and only $10 per hour to just rent a board.
Best time is early in the morning before it gets to crowded. We went at 7am. Oh, and be forewarned that the worst part of it is the paddling back out to the break. You'll be wishing the hour was over after 30 minutes!
Equipment: Just bring your swimsuit and a towel. They'll provide the rest.
Address: Duke's Beach, Waikiki
Directions: On the Diamond Head end of Waikiki Beach just past the Moana Surfrider Hotel as you walk down Kalakaua Avenue towards Diamond Head
More Reviews (51)
- See All Free Attractions and Budget Eats
- See All Brunch in a Hawaiian Setting
- See All Local Artists Exhibitions
- See All First Friday Gallery Walk
Hopkid's Related Pages
Honolulu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Living in Honolulu"
- "Home Away From Home"
- "THE REAL HAWAII IS HONOLULU"
- "Waikiki - Number one attraction!"
- "December 7 1941, A Date That Will Live In Infamy."
- "The family in Hawaii for 6 months"
- "Hawaiian Sunsets."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Honolulu
- Hotels in Honolulu
- Transportation in Honolulu
- Nightlife in Honolulu
- Restaurants in Honolulu
- Shopping in Honolulu
- Warnings and Dangers in Honolulu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Honolulu
- 52 Reviews
- 97 Photos
- 29 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Honolulu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Honolulu
Photos in HonoluluSee All Photos (97)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 53 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antigua Guatemala Intro, 47 reviews, 157 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 52 reviews, 97 photos
- Boston Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 40 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Memphis Intro, 20 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panajachel Intro, 21 reviews, 45 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (34)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
- Pearl Harbor- 84 Reviews, 103 Photos
- Waikiki Beach- 33 Reviews, 60 Photos
- Diamond Head- 37 Reviews, 73 Photos
- Hanauma Bay- 40 Reviews, 84 Photos
- Iolani Palace- 33 Reviews, 46 Photos
- Dole Pineapple Plantation- 11 Reviews, 19 Photos
- Shopping- 18 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Hula Dancing- 12 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Bishop Museum- 14 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Zoo- 15 Reviews, 46 Photos
See All Honolulu Things to Do