"Old-Time Feel of Rural Hawaii" Top 5 Page for this destination Hanalei by Hopkid
Hanalei Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 125 photos
The last town on the Kuhio Highway is Hanalei on the North Shore of Kauai. Here the visitor will find charming wood buildings, many in the Hawaii plantation style, mostly one-store tall. Hanalei has a small collection of shops, restaurants, a post office, school, and the historic Wai'oli Hui'ia Church. There are no hotels so the main drag in Hanalei, all two blocks of it, doesn't get inundated with tourists like in Waikiki. At least not during April or September, the months that I've visited. Most day-trippers drive over from nearby Princeville, Kapa'a, and the resorts on the South Shore in Poipu. Visitors wishing to stay in the area can rent homes in town or further west on the Kuhio Highway in Wainiha or Haena.
One can't help but fall into a relaxed state while strolling around the small town center, browsing the shops, eating al fresco at one of the restaurants, and just reveling in the fine weather and the sight of tall palm trees and the mountains to the south and the sunset on Hanalei Bay and the municipal pier. So visit, grab a coffee, smoothie, or shave ice, grab a seat outside the Hanalei Center, an old school house that now contains shops and an eatery, and soak in the relaxing atmosphere of the North Shore.
- Pros:Small town feel, interesting shops, restaurants
- Cons:The stay is never long enough
- In a nutshell:Where it's all at on the North Shore of Kauai!
Taro is the source for poi. It is also a very important and sacred food to Hawaiians. You can see taro growing in the... more travel advice
Hanalei Bay is a crescent shape and has a large expanse of beach on the southeast quarter. At the southern most end is... more travel advice
Hopkid's Related Pages
Hanalei Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Old-Time Feel of Rural Hawaii"
- "Beautiful Hanalei"
- "Hanalei Kauai"
- "wikemom_momo's new Hanalei page"
- "Hanalei worth a stop"
- "First there was light, there there was Hanalei"
- "Hanalei Bay Photos"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hanalei
- Hotels in Hanalei
- Transportation in Hanalei
- Restaurants in Hanalei
- Shopping in Hanalei
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hanalei
- 15 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Hanalei?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hanalei
Photos in HanaleiSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 53 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antigua Guatemala Intro, 47 reviews, 157 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 52 reviews, 97 photos
- Boston Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 40 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Memphis Intro, 20 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panajachel Intro, 21 reviews, 45 photos