"Big Wave Surfing Gateway" Top 5 Page for this destination Haleiwa by Hopkid
Haleiwa Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 163 photos
Haleiwa is at the bend in the Kam Highway where the road takes a turn north and along the fabled North Shore. It is along this stretch of Oahu that the big waves crash during the winter months at beaches named Sunset, Waimea, and Banzai Pipeline. Surfers from all over come here to test their skill (and luck) against some of the largest and most powerful breaks in the world. Even for the non-surfer, the tremendous power of these waves is a sight to behold. Many surfing fans or just tourists in the Islands on holiday come here in the winter to observe the waves and those trying to ride them. It really is a great thing to watch.
Haleiwa town itself is still relatively small and rustic although many oldtimers would say that it's becoming way too commercial. However, compared to Honolulu, Haleiwa is still a sleepy little beach town with some funky restaurants and shops. It can get very crowded and traffic ridden in the high tourist season so it's best to head out early (it's at least an hour's drive from Waikiki) and get there before lunch. I would suggest going early, do a bit of shopping, have lunch, and then hit the beach perhaps at Waimea Bay and just relax during the afternoon.
Get some grub at one of the many shrimp shacks that are set up along the North Shore. The food is incredible and not expensive!
- Pros:Evokes images of old Hawaii
- Cons:Very crowded in high season
- In a nutshell:A nice change of pace from the craziness of Honolulu
Just north of Haleiwa on Kam Highway is scenic Waimea Bay Beach Park. The large beach is set along the shore of this... more travel advice
The North Shore has become famous not only for the big wave surfing but also for the shrimp vans that set up along the... more travel advice
Hopkid's Related Pages
Haleiwa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Haleiwa - A Place I Could Happily Live In!"
- "Gateway to the North Shore"
- "The Highlight of our Trip!"
- "Big Wave Surfing Gateway"
- "Haleiwa Girl"
- "north shore"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Haleiwa
- Hotels in Haleiwa
- Transportation in Haleiwa
- Restaurants in Haleiwa
- Shopping in Haleiwa
- Warnings and Dangers in Haleiwa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Haleiwa
- 4 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Haleiwa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Haleiwa
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 53 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antigua Guatemala Intro, 47 reviews, 157 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 52 reviews, 97 photos
- Boston Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 40 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Memphis Intro, 20 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panajachel Intro, 21 reviews, 45 photos