"North Shore Seclusion" Haena by Hopkid
Haena Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 38 photos
Towards the end of the Kuhio Highway past Hanalei on the North Shore of Kauai, Haena is a collection of residential homes, some year-round residences, some available for rent. But they aren't grouped like in a subdivision. Many lots are large and filled with tropical vegetation such that you might not even be able to see homes next door. Staying in one of these homes, especially those right on the beach, provides a great experience of living in a tropical paradise but with all the amenties.
The Kuhio Highway is anything but a highway; more like a two-lane access road through tropical vegetation, one-lane bridges, and glimpses of homes on either side. As such, crowds in off-season times are non-existant until you get to the parking lots of Haena Beach Park and Ke'e Beach at the end of the road which has a nice beach itself and is the starting point for treks along the Kalaulau Trail on the beautiful Na Pali coastline. Other attractions include Limahuli Gardens, the Maniniholo Dry Cave, the Waikapala'e and Waikanaloa Wet Caves, Kaulu Paoa Heiau, Tunnels Beach, and the aforementioned beaches. Back towards civilization on the Kuhio Highway are Hanalei Town and Princeville, just a few minutes drive away.
My family and I have rented a home in Haena twice and simply love it there. Beautiful scenery, pristine beaches, limited crowds (at least when we have been in April and September), and close to nearby attractions. We highly recommend a stay on the North Shore and Haena is a great place to do it.
Hunting for shells on Tunnels Beach with Makana (aka Bali Hai from the movie South Pacific) in the background.
- Pros:Relaxing, scenic, great beaches, uncrowded
- Cons:Can be expensive to rent
- In a nutshell:Feel of old Hawaii in a tropical paradise
The Kalalau Trail is the only land access to the incredible Na Pali Coast. The trail is an out-and-back trip extending... more travel advice
Located just east of the parking lot at the end of the Kuhio Highway, this wet cave was craved out by the strong... more travel advice
Hopkid's Related Pages
Haena Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Haena
- Hotels in Haena
- Restaurants in Haena
- Shopping in Haena
- Warnings and Dangers in Haena
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Haena
- 10 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Haena?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Haena
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 53 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antigua Guatemala Intro, 47 reviews, 157 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 52 reviews, 97 photos
- Boston Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 40 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Memphis Intro, 20 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panajachel Intro, 21 reviews, 45 photos