"Suburban Living" Walnut by Hopkid
Walnut Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 8 photos
Walnut is a small residential community located approximately 25 miles east of downtown Los Angeles in the San Gabriel Valley. It's adjacent to the other suburban cities of West Covina, Pomona, Diamond Bar, Industry, and Rowland Heights. It was incorporated in 1959, the year of the Los Angeles Dodgers' first World Series championship. When my family moved to Walnut in 1964 there were a handful of subdivisions and fields of grazing cows. The only business to speak of were a 7-11 convenience store, a couple of gas stations, a community college (Mt. San Antonio College or Mt. SAC for short) and a small strip mall with a liquor store, barber shop, florist, trophy/sporting goods store, and public library. It was truly a great place to grow up.
It has since become a nice upper middle class enclave and within the last few years got a brand new city hall, public library, and senior center in what could be called the Walnut City Center. The city has also received some new businesses with a retail center at the corner of Grand Avenue and Valley Boulevard including our very own In-N-Out Burger. The liquor store (The Liquorette) and barber shop are still there where they were in 1964 on Pierre Road just north of Valley Boulevard.
There's very little reason to come to Walnut unless you know someone who lives there or perhaps to see the world class athletes compete annually at the Mt. Sac Relays each April. However there are a couple of decent places to get a meal (besides my parents' home) and I'll provide tips for them here. I hope they are helpful. See my Los Angeles page for links to other SoCal locales on which I have put up restaurant tips. IT'S ALL ABOUT EATING GOOD AND INTERESTING FOOD!
- Pros:Good schools, good neighborhoods, clean living
- Cons:Not real exciting but a nice place to raise a family
- In a nutshell:A little slice of suburban LA!
Family-owned and operated since 1948, In-N-Out Burger has grown from its San Gabriel Valley roots to a west coast burger... more travel advice
Hopkid's Related Pages
Walnut Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Walnut
- 2 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Walnut?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Walnut
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 53 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antigua Guatemala Intro, 47 reviews, 157 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 52 reviews, 97 photos
- Boston Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 40 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Memphis Intro, 20 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panajachel Intro, 21 reviews, 45 photos