"Gateway to the White Mountains" Big Pine by Hopkid
Big Pine Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 44 photos
Located a few miles south of Bishop on U.s. 395, Big Pine is one of many small towns that dot the main highway that runs through the Owens Valley. The majestic Sierra Nevada Mountains loom to the west while the White Mountains are located to the east. On the north end of town California Highway 168 runs east into the White Mountains and provides access to the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest which is part of the Inyo National Forest. These trees are the oldest living things on the planet, some more than 4,000 years old! It's definitely worth the 30 or so minute drive from Big Pine to the Schulman Grove Visitor Center. There are a couple of short hikes you can take that will give you an up close and personal meeting with these ancient trees. Another 12-mile drive will take you to the Partriarch Grove where the largest Bristlecone Pine is located. Be forwarned that the groves are at an elevation of over 10,000 feet so take it easy and drink lots!
Hopkid's Related Pages
Big Pine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BIG PINE - GATEWAY TO MUCH TALLER HEIGHTS"
- "Big Pine"
- "Big Pine - Gateway to the largest glacier in SoCal"
- "Gateway to the White Mountains"
- "Mighty big mountains, mighty small town"
- "BIG PINE, CALIFORNIA"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Big Pine
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Big Pine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Big Pine
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 53 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antigua Guatemala Intro, 47 reviews, 157 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 52 reviews, 97 photos
- Boston Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 40 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Memphis Intro, 20 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panajachel Intro, 21 reviews, 45 photos