"College Town in the Desert" Tucson by Hopkid

Tucson Travel Guide: 953 reviews and 2,189 photos

I've been to Tucson, home of the University of Arizona, three times, all for the purpose of business. However each time I manage to get in a bit of fun. My first visit (as all of my visits coincidentally) was in 1994 or 1995 during the month of March which is when the Cactus League is holding court. The Cactus League is made up of the Major League baseball teams that conduct their spring training in Arizona during March as a lead up to the regular season. That first trip I left my meeting as soon as it ended and headed out to Hi Corbett Field, then the spring training home of the Cleveland Indians. It was a beautiful spring day and perfect for baseball. I got a seat in the second row just behind the visitor's on deck circle. The visiting team that day was the Seattle Mariners. Each time Ken Griffey, Jr. was on deck he would carry on a conversation with the fans about the action taking place on the field. That's the beauty of the preseason as fans can get closer to the players and the players are usually relaxed and more approachable. I had to leave in the middle of the game to catch my flight back to LA.

The last two trips have been to do work at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base. The interesting thing about D-M is that they maintain an aircraft boneyard which is made up of hundreds of decommissioned military aircraft. They have everything from old Korean War era jet fighters to B-52s. It's a mega aircraft museum. Unfortunately, however, I was not able to catch a Cactus League game during the last two visits. But I did get to sample a couple of pretty good restaurants which will be tips in the near future. If you're into Southwest Indian crafts, there is also a goldmine of a shop located not too far from the Arizona campus. If I ever have more time there in the future I'd like to do some hiking in the beautiful hills outside of town and part of Saugaro National Park.

• Last visit to Tucson: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated May 20, 2005

Hopkid

“I may not be able to see it all, but I can die trying!”

Badges & Stats in Tucson