"The Mezquita, Tortilla de Espanola, and Heat!" Top 5 Page for this destination Córdoba by Hopkid

Córdoba Travel Guide: 896 reviews and 2,069 photos

On the insistence of a good friend we had planned a day trip from Sevilla to Cordoba, mainly to see the Mezquita, the former mosque originally built in the 13th century and considered to be one of the finest examples of Muslim architecture in the world. We had seen photos of the rows of double arches and decided we could not pass it up being that Cordoba was very close to Sevilla and convenient by train. We took an early morning AVE, Spain's high speed train, which got us to the station in Cordoba within 45 minutes. We took the bus from the conveniently located bus station (across the street from the train station) down to near the Mezquita and then spent almost 2 hours walking around the interior and exploring every detail. What a wonderful and beautiful place, even with the cathedral built right the middle. We also spent time in the Patio de los Naranjos and taking in views of the former minaret, now a bell tower.

We also made a day of our visit and spent time at the Alcazar and its beautiful gardens, the old Synagogue, the Casa Andalusi, and walking around the narrow and windy streets of the old Jewish quarter, the Juderia. For lunch we had the best torlilla de espanola in the world! This fact is espoused in newspaper clippings framed on the wall of Bar Santo, near the northeast corner of the Mezquita walls. But the tortilla, served in a pie-shaped wedge, really is fantastic. All the locals who came in ordered nothing but the tortilla. Of course we had glasses of tinto y limon to wash it down.

But besides the beauty of the Mezquita's interior, my lasting memory of Cordoba will be the heat. On our bus ride back to the train station (around 5:00pm), we passed two bank clock/temperature displays. One registered 39C while the other read 42C! Do yourself a favor and find a nice air conditioned bar or bodega and sit there between 1 and 4pm and have a nice siesta! Oh, and be on the lookout for Spain's equivalent to Gatorade, Aquarius. Gotta stay hydrated!

Tips and more photos to come!

View of the Mezquita minaret from the Patio de los Naranjos

Water lily blooming in the gardens at the Alcazar

• Pros:Beauty of the Mezquita, Bar Santos, Convient day trip from Sevilla
  • Cons:God help you if it's hot!
  • In a nutshell:The Mezquita is a must but don't miss the other sights!
  • Last visit to Córdoba: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Aug 21, 2005

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2012 at 7:09 PM

You did a great job describing what you saw, your writing was great and the photos superb:) Easily one of the cities i was most fascinated by when i went to Spain

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2011 at 6:56 AM

Fantastic tips and photos, Andy. I'll be sure to print off some of your tips before visiting Spain next year. As you mention the heat, I think a visit in springtime would be more comfortable than the summer!

• Feb 15, 2008 at 6:40 AM

really great Cordoba page, you did it justice and included many interesting details!

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2007 at 2:46 AM

Nice page. Ciao!

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2007 at 1:12 PM

I get the impression it might have been kind of hot when you were here. We're considering a day trip here. July. I hope it won't be 42C. Great page and interesting tips!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2006 at 5:25 PM

nice page!

• ellsasha's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2006 at 7:15 PM

Great tips on Cordoba, will read more of your pages.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2006 at 6:21 PM

Only one food tip??? Must have been a short visit! Some beautiful photos and I remember those gardens being especially lovely :-)

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2006 at 9:55 PM

Hi Andy! Such a great page of Cordoba, which is my favourite city in Andalucia. Excellent information with great photos, especially the b&w, love them! Happy birthday from Finland, Sini

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2005 at 8:08 PM

outstanding page on my beloved Cordoba..tks heaps

Hopkid

“I may not be able to see it all, but I can die trying!”

Badges & Stats in Córdoba

Have you been to Córdoba?

Latest Activity in Córdoba