"The Mezquita, Tortilla de Espanola, and Heat!" Top 5 Page for this destination Córdoba by Hopkid
Córdoba Travel Guide: 897 reviews and 2,091 photos
On the insistence of a good friend we had planned a day trip from Sevilla to Cordoba, mainly to see the Mezquita, the former mosque originally built in the 13th century and considered to be one of the finest examples of Muslim architecture in the world. We had seen photos of the rows of double arches and decided we could not pass it up being that Cordoba was very close to Sevilla and convenient by train. We took an early morning AVE, Spain's high speed train, which got us to the station in Cordoba within 45 minutes. We took the bus from the conveniently located bus station (across the street from the train station) down to near the Mezquita and then spent almost 2 hours walking around the interior and exploring every detail. What a wonderful and beautiful place, even with the cathedral built right the middle. We also spent time in the Patio de los Naranjos and taking in views of the former minaret, now a bell tower.
We also made a day of our visit and spent time at the Alcazar and its beautiful gardens, the old Synagogue, the Casa Andalusi, and walking around the narrow and windy streets of the old Jewish quarter, the Juderia. For lunch we had the best torlilla de espanola in the world! This fact is espoused in newspaper clippings framed on the wall of Bar Santo, near the northeast corner of the Mezquita walls. But the tortilla, served in a pie-shaped wedge, really is fantastic. All the locals who came in ordered nothing but the tortilla. Of course we had glasses of tinto y limon to wash it down.
But besides the beauty of the Mezquita's interior, my lasting memory of Cordoba will be the heat. On our bus ride back to the train station (around 5:00pm), we passed two bank clock/temperature displays. One registered 39C while the other read 42C! Do yourself a favor and find a nice air conditioned bar or bodega and sit there between 1 and 4pm and have a nice siesta! Oh, and be on the lookout for Spain's equivalent to Gatorade, Aquarius. Gotta stay hydrated!
Tips and more photos to come!
- Pros:Beauty of the Mezquita, Bar Santos, Convient day trip from Sevilla
- Cons:God help you if it's hot!
- In a nutshell:The Mezquita is a must but don't miss the other sights!
This picturesque bridge runs from the Torre de la Calahorra on the south, across the Rio Guadalquivir, and end on the... more travel advice
Al-Hakim II built the mihrab as a place of prayer for the caliph, the symbolic leader of Islam. It is inset behind the... more travel advice
Hopkid's Related Pages
Córdoba Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cordoba-The center of Al-Andalus"
- "CORDOBA,in the heart of Andalucia"
- "CORDOBA: CITY OF THREE CULTURES"
- "Magical Córdoba"
- "The Mezquita, Tortilla de Espanola, and Heat!"
- "Cordoba--A RIch Blend of Culture"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Córdoba
- Hotels in Córdoba
- Transportation in Córdoba
- Nightlife in Córdoba
- Restaurants in Córdoba
- Shopping in Córdoba
- Warnings and Dangers in Córdoba
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Córdoba
- 19 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Córdoba?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Córdoba
Photos in CórdobaSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 53 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antigua Guatemala Intro, 47 reviews, 157 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 52 reviews, 97 photos
- Boston Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 40 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Memphis Intro, 20 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panajachel Intro, 21 reviews, 45 photos