"Feel of Old Islam in Spain" Top 5 Page for this destination Granada by Hopkid
Granada Travel Guide: 2,036 reviews and 5,074 photos
how many songs and romances, Spanish and Arabian,
of love and war and chivalry are associated with this romantic pile!
- Washington Irving on the Alhambra
Granada has a totally different feel to it than Sevilla for example. It may have to do with the large university population and that feel is more bohemian, diverse in many ways, and relaxed. Home to the famous Alhambra, where tourists flock by the thousands each year, Granada is a fascinating city that can make the visitor feel like he/she is in old Morocco, such is the strength of the past when Granada was the last outpost of the Al Andalus kingdom and the Nasrid emirate. This is seen most strongly in the architecture of the old Nasrid palace within the walls of the Alhambra, and in the old city streets in the Albayzin and Alcaiceria areas.
Besides the Alhambra, the visitor should also make time to see the grand cathedral (much nicer on the inside than the huge example in Sevilla), the Capilla Real (final resting place of the Catholic monarchs, Fernando and Isabel), and the beautiful Monasterio de la Cartuja. Also be sure to sample the wonderful tapas bars and take advantage of the free plates that come with your drink order.
- Pros:Shopping in the Albayzin, tapas, architecture
- Cons:Crowds, heat in summer
- In a nutshell:Great sampling of the old Muslim influence in Europe
Spain's Catholic monarches, Fernando and Isabel, commissioned the design and construction of this building for their own... more travel advice
The Plaza Nueva is in the center of many of the main attractions in Granada. It's just down the hill from the Alhambra... more travel advice
- See All Good Meal at the Alhambra
- You Need to Ask for the Check
- Shop With the Locals
- Nice location, modern boutique hotel
Hopkid's Related Pages
Granada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Granada"
- "Much More Than The Alhambra"
- "And How to fall in love with a city...."
- "Feel of Old Islam in Spain"
- "Beautiful architecture and fantastic views!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Granada
- Hotels in Granada
- Transportation in Granada
- Nightlife in Granada
- Restaurants in Granada
- Shopping in Granada
- Warnings and Dangers in Granada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Granada
- 36 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Granada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Granada
Photos in GranadaSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 53 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antigua Guatemala Intro, 47 reviews, 157 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 52 reviews, 97 photos
- Boston Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 40 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Memphis Intro, 20 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panajachel Intro, 21 reviews, 45 photos