"Day Trip to Ronda" Ronda by Hopkid
Ronda Travel Guide: 507 reviews and 1,386 photos
We had a weekend between the two weeks of work in Rota. The hardest part of the trip was getting out of Jerez. I swear that driving there is a total nightmare as the roads/highways are not clearly marked and the directional signs aren't always the best. At any rate, our trip out took us through Arcos de la Frontera and then down along A372 on the Camino de los Pueblos Blancos. The route is very scenic, taking you through the mountainous and forested Parque Natural Sierra de Grazalema. Along this route you also drive through the charming Pueblos Blancos of El Bosque, Benamahoma, and Grazalema. Unfortunately we did not have time to stop and linger at these villages, instead pushing on to check out the underground rock formations of the Cueva de la Pileta just outside Benaojan.
But the highlight of the trip was Ronda. Sure it has a lot of touristy shops but the afternoon and early evening we spent there was rewarding because of the lack of hordes of tourists and the friendly feeling we got from the locals we met. We even got to spend some time after dinner with a helado during the evening stroll among the locals along Calle Carrera del Espinel and in the Plaza Socorro. Ronda has several interesting historic sites, including a wonderful bullring, and a charming old town. And I haven't even mentioned the spectacular Puente Nuevo which connects the old part of town with the new and straddles the very deep gorge through which the Rio Guadalevin flows.
I'll definitely go back to Ronda and spend more time exploring this inviting town. Tips and more photos to come!
- Pros:Charming, easy, picturesque
- Cons:The Rio Guadalevin is a bit smelly on hot days
- In a nutshell:Spanish charm definitely worth checking out!
An excellent example of a grand mansion from the 14th century which still retains the family crest over the entrance... more travel advice
The Rio Guadalevin separates La Ciudad, the older quarter of town, and El Mercadillo, which is the newer (relatively... more travel advice
Hopkid's Related Pages
Ronda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bridge over the River Guadalevin"
- "Ronda - Pearl of the Andalusian mountains"
- "Ronda - Spain's amazing gem!"
- "One of the most Beautiful towns in Andalucia"
- "ROMANTIC RONDA"
- "Ronda - Home For A Week, May 04 - Flowers!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ronda
- Hotels in Ronda
- Transportation in Ronda
- Nightlife in Ronda
- Restaurants in Ronda
- Shopping in Ronda
- Warnings and Dangers in Ronda
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ronda
- 9 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Ronda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ronda
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 53 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antigua Guatemala Intro, 47 reviews, 157 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 52 reviews, 97 photos
- Boston Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 40 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Memphis Intro, 20 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panajachel Intro, 21 reviews, 45 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (33)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Ronda hotel reviews
- Don Miguel
- 96 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2013
- Hostal Ronda Sol
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 2, 2013
- Morales Hotel Ronda
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 2, 2013
- Enfrente Arte Hotel Ronda
- 229 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 25, 2013
- Royal Hotel Ronda
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 1, 2013
- Alavera de los Banos
- 183 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- 361 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- 127 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Hotel Molino del Puente Ronda
- 116 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2013
- La Fuente De La Higuera
- 236 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013