"Two Weeks on the Costa de la Luz" Top 5 Page for this destination Rota by Hopkid
Rota Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 80 photos
Work has sent me to many places, mostly within the U.S., but I have had the chance to travel to Guam and the Azores in the past on business. On both of those trips I took advantage and spent extra time in Hawaii and Lisbon (my first visit to mainland Europe), respectively. This year I was lucky enough to be asked to work on a project at a U.S. Naval Station in Rota, Spain. Rota is a small resort town on the other side of the Bahia de Cadiz from the bigger and more well-known city of Cadiz. Jerez de la Frontera is the closest large city, only 30 km or so north and is where one flies into when traveling to Rota. My wife and I had spent the week prior traveling around Andalucia, visiting Sevilla, Granada, and Cordoba.
I was in Rota for 2 weeks with two collegues from the States. During our time on the base we worked tirelessly in the high temperatures but managed to return to our hotel and go out and experience life in Rota at least through dinner someplace. Towards the end of our visit we managed to spend more time walking around and checking out some of the historic sites on offer. Rota definitey has a small town feel which was a nice change of pace after visting the much larger cities of Sevilla, Cordoba, and Granada. One could pick a worse place to spend a couple of days on holiday soaking up the sun on the beaches and enjoying some nice seafood at one of the many restaurants. It also served as a home base from where we could take short trips to nearby Jerez, Sanlucar de Barrameda, Acros de la Frontera, and a day trip to Ronda.
Women cleaning a beautifully decorated side chapel inside the wonderful Parroquia de Nuestra Senora de la 0
- Pros:Small town life, beaches, food
- Cons:Crowds, heat in summer
- In a nutshell:Not a bad place to hang out and wind down
In Europe, dining is an experience that is meant to be enjoyed and not hurried through. This is reflected in the wait... more travel advice
This place is not a bad choice for tapas and a drink or two if you can stand the sound of legions of motor scooters that... more travel advice
Hopkid's Related Pages
Rota Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Two Weeks on the Costa de la Luz"
- "An incredible weekend!"
- "Rota, AGAIN!"
- "be careful with the Sangria"
- "ROTA. USA MILITARY BASE, BEACHES, FABULOUS DISHES"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rota
- Hotels in Rota
- Nightlife in Rota
- Restaurants in Rota
- Shopping in Rota
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rota
- 14 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Rota?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rota
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 53 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antigua Guatemala Intro, 47 reviews, 157 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 52 reviews, 97 photos
- Boston Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 40 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Memphis Intro, 20 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panajachel Intro, 21 reviews, 45 photos