"Two Weeks on the Costa de la Luz" Top 5 Page for this destination Rota by Hopkid

Rota Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 80 photos

Now this is a business trip!

Work has sent me to many places, mostly within the U.S., but I have had the chance to travel to Guam and the Azores in the past on business. On both of those trips I took advantage and spent extra time in Hawaii and Lisbon (my first visit to mainland Europe), respectively. This year I was lucky enough to be asked to work on a project at a U.S. Naval Station in Rota, Spain. Rota is a small resort town on the other side of the Bahia de Cadiz from the bigger and more well-known city of Cadiz. Jerez de la Frontera is the closest large city, only 30 km or so north and is where one flies into when traveling to Rota. My wife and I had spent the week prior traveling around Andalucia, visiting Sevilla, Granada, and Cordoba.

I was in Rota for 2 weeks with two collegues from the States. During our time on the base we worked tirelessly in the high temperatures but managed to return to our hotel and go out and experience life in Rota at least through dinner someplace. Towards the end of our visit we managed to spend more time walking around and checking out some of the historic sites on offer. Rota definitey has a small town feel which was a nice change of pace after visting the much larger cities of Sevilla, Cordoba, and Granada. One could pick a worse place to spend a couple of days on holiday soaking up the sun on the beaches and enjoying some nice seafood at one of the many restaurants. It also served as a home base from where we could take short trips to nearby Jerez, Sanlucar de Barrameda, Acros de la Frontera, and a day trip to Ronda.

The main beach near the port area on the Bahia de Cadiz

Women cleaning a beautifully decorated side chapel inside the wonderful Parroquia de Nuestra Senora de la 0

• Pros:Small town life, beaches, food
  • Cons:Crowds, heat in summer
  • In a nutshell:Not a bad place to hang out and wind down
  • Last visit to Rota: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 1, 2005

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2009 at 3:25 AM

Nice useful tips, thanks for sharing.

• bugalugs's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2006 at 1:13 PM

Well you certainly like your restaurants :-))) Looks a really nice place

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2005 at 4:55 AM

I passed through here often BVT (before VT). Great tips! I'd love to see it again.... check please!

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2005 at 7:30 PM

We should all be so lucky to 'have'to go to such a place for work :-] Some of my old friends in Germany with the univ of MD used to rave about their times down here!

Hopkid

“I may not be able to see it all, but I can die trying!”

Badges & Stats in Rota