"Columbus' and Megellan's Shoving Off Point" Sanlùcar de Barrameda by Hopkid
Sanlùcar de Barrameda Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 37 photos
According to the Lonely Planet guidebook, Columbus began his third of three voyages to the New World from this port town on the Atlantic coast of Spain as did Megellan on his ill-fated trip around Cape Horn that included his death in the Phillipines. We, however, decided to make the 30-km drive from our hotel in Rota on the afternoon of our arrival on the Costa del Sol to do some sightseeing.
Sanlucar is small and easily reachable. We went on a Sunday afternoon which probably made it easier to navigate and to find a parking spot on the street. We hung out most of the time in the friendly Plaza del Cabildo. We arrived around 5pm, did a short walking tour (as suggested in our Lonely Planet guidebook), and returned to the plaza for ice cream, pastries, drinks, and a great dinner of seafood tapas. As the time went on more and more locals and especially families came to the plaza to enjoy the pleasant early summer weather. It was a warm and comfortable scene. We left with happy memories and tummies.
- Pros:Lots of sherry bodegas, some historic sites, nice seafood
- Cons:A bit dirty and ragged but it was a Sunday
- In a nutshell:A good sampling of life as a Spaniard
In the northwest corner of the center of town, the Plaza del Cabildo, Cafe Balbino has a staggering selection of fresh... more travel advice
Built in the 15th century, the church has an interesting neo-Muslim doorway and according to guidebooks has a beautiful... more travel advice
Hopkid's Related Pages
Sanlùcar de Barrameda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Columbus' and Megellan's Shoving Off Point"
- "Sanlúcar de Barrameda"
- "The delta of the Guadalquivir River"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sanlùcar de Barrameda
- Hotels in Sanlùcar de Barrameda
- Transportation in Sanlùcar de Barrameda
- Restaurants in Sanlùcar de Barrameda
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sanlùcar de Barrameda
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Sanlùcar de Barrameda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sanlùcar de Barrameda
- Posted in Travel Richmond Forum "Re: Where should we stay?"
- Commented on one of piccolita's Sanlùcar de Barrameda travel pages
- updated a Sanlùcar de Barrameda Travel Page "Columbus' and Megellan's Shoving Off Point"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Columbus' and Megellan's Shoving Off Point"
- Wrote a Review Great Seafood Tapas in Sanlùcar de Barrameda Restaurants
Photos in Sanlùcar de BarramedaSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 53 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antigua Guatemala Intro, 47 reviews, 157 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 52 reviews, 97 photos
- Boston Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 40 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Memphis Intro, 20 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panajachel Intro, 21 reviews, 45 photos