"Market Day in the Highlands" Top 5 Page for this destination Chichicastenango by Hopkid
Chichicastenango Travel Guide: 89 reviews and 211 photos
All the guidebooks will tell you that the market (Thursdays and Sundays) in Chichi is possibly the largest indigenous market in Latin America. The tour operators in Antigua, Pana, and throughout central Guatemala will tell you that this is a must-do activity. I would have to wholeheartedly agree. Sure, because of the hype you run the risk of seeing a lot of other tourists. In our experience you can still get the full flavor of the traditional aspects of the market and see plenty of locals wearing their traditional traje in all their bright colors and beautiful patterns. Better yet would be to drive there yourself or take a chicken bus so you're not on the same schedule as all of the tour buses that descend on Chichi. The market *IS* very large so it can seem as though that perhaps there aren't as may tourists as there might actually be. Our visit on a Sunday in June was that way.
Besides having the everyday items necessary for daily life like other town/village market days feature, Chichi is also known for its large selection of traditional crafts. Here you can fined carved wooden masks, figurines, and bowls, handwoven blankets, tablecloths, and pillow cases, jewelery, purses, etc. not to mention authentic traje such as cortes (skirts) and huipils (blouses). Quality varies so be sure to make your own judgement if a particular item meets your standards and make sure to bargain hard for the item. It is expected and once a price is agreed to don't worry that the vendor is getting cheated. Their business people and aren't going to settle for not making money on a deal.
Other than the traditional crafts, the other fascinating part of the market are the areas for the locals, such as the meat section, the flower mart around the steps of large Iglesia de Santo Tomas, the grains, produce, and prepared foods. This is where you'll find the locals shopping and after wandering through some of these lanes you may find yourself as the only foreigner in sight.
Some say it's too touristy and it may be more so than it used to be. But we found it to be a great experience and it would prove to be the same to anyone with a penchant for shopping for local crafts and with an interest in local culture.
And if you're a photographer, forget about it. You've got to go to Chichi!
- Pros:Great experience among the locals
- Cons:Too many tourists?
- In a nutshell:Must do on any trip to Guatemala!
Located on the opposite side of the Parque Central from the Iglesia de Santo Tomas, the Capilla del Calvario is a... more travel advice
Ideally located above the ruckus of the market, Restaurante San Juan is located on the north end of the Parque Central... more travel advice
Hopkid's Related Pages
Chichicastenango Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Incredible ChiChi"
- "Chichicastenango-Best Marketplace in Guatemala"
- "The best indian market in Guatemala."
- "Market Day in the Highlands"
- "The biggest indian market in Guatemala"
- "Chichicastenango: the biggest market of Guatemala!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chichicastenango
- Hotels in Chichicastenango
- Transportation in Chichicastenango
- Nightlife in Chichicastenango
- Restaurants in Chichicastenango
- Shopping in Chichicastenango
- Warnings and Dangers in Chichicastenango
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chichicastenango
- 6 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Chichicastenango?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chichicastenango
- Posted in Travel Richmond Forum "Re: Where should we stay?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Market Day"
- updated a Chichicastenango Travelogue "One Sunday at the Market in Chichi - Part II"
- Wrote a Review Capilla del Calvario in Chichicastenango Things to Do
- Commented on one of euzkadi's Chichicastenango travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 53 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antigua Guatemala Intro, 47 reviews, 157 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 52 reviews, 97 photos
- Boston Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 40 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Memphis Intro, 20 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panajachel Intro, 21 reviews, 45 photos