"Charming Town on Lago de Peten Itza" Flores by Hopkid
Flores Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 201 photos
We only spent a total of 70 minutes in this small town located on an island just off the south shore of the Lago de Peten Itza. It is connected to the mainland by a causeway which originates in Santa Elena. Because of the number of lodging options here it is a popular base of operations for visitors to the area. We had thoughts of spending our nights in one of the small lakeside hotels here but eventually felt that it would be easier for all if we stayed with the large group we were traveling with who had booked rooms in mainland Santa Elena.
Determined to explore the town, we took a tuk-tuk to the main plaza and walked the streets as dusk settled in. The town had a lot of charm and character with smooth stucco buildings in a varitey of colors and winding narrow streets. Kids playing soccer on a hardtop field in the main plaza and food stalls opening up for the dinner hour were pleasant signs of local life. After walking through some of the narrow streets we took seats a a local watering hole with a lakeview toward the west to watch the sunset. With a mojito in hand, this was a nice end to a crazy but fascinating day which started well before dawn in Antigua, a bus ride to Guatemala City, plane ride to Flores, and a tour of the ruins at Tikal.
- Pros:Small, charming, logding and eating options
- Cons:None that we noticed
- In a nutshell:A good base for exploring ruins in the Peten region
As we stayed in Santa Elena on the mainland we did not stay at the Hotel Santa Rita but we had to take a photo of Rita... more travel advice
Standing on the east end of the parque central is this simply designed church. It wasn’t open during our short visit and... more travel advice
Hopkid's Related Pages
Flores Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Flores, the Island Town on Lake Peten Itza"
- "The Spectacular Island Pueblo of Flores"
- "A NICE LITTLE PLACE ON AN ISLAND"
- "Flores, gateway to Tikal"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Flores
- Hotels in Flores
- Transportation in Flores
- Nightlife in Flores
- Restaurants in Flores
- Shopping in Flores
- Warnings and Dangers in Flores
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Flores
- 6 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Flores?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Flores
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 53 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antigua Guatemala Intro, 47 reviews, 157 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Intro, 52 reviews, 97 photos
- Boston Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 40 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Memphis Intro, 20 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos
- Venice Intro, 29 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panajachel Intro, 21 reviews, 45 photos