"Background" Top 5 Page for this destination Durres by johnkebab
Durres Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 166 photos
I lived in Durres for 5 months from November 2001 to April 2002. I worked in support of the KFOR mission at Comm Z West, I experienced a lot of life there, but maybe not as in depth as I had my own car and accommodation provided by my company. I enjoyed my time thoroughly, the people are very friendly, if not a little dodgy, but its a good place to visit just because it is so far off the beaten track, its life at possibly the rawest you will find so close to çivilised Europe (in my humble opinion).
The photo here is of a line of bunkers, during the cold war Albania invested in thousands of them and they can be found dotted along roads, in hills, all over the place, they are quite a teling relic of the past days of cold war Europe, you can imagine the Albanian government preparing for an invasion!!
During my time I got to drive around a bit, especially around Durres, there is a history in Albania that you might not think of, including the largest Roman ampitheatre in Europe, hidden away, not many tourist signs etc, so you can still find real treats here if you know where to look....
This photo is taken from the former Kings palace, which had been commandeered by KFOR as a communications post due to its location on the top of a hill.
- Pros:Gorgeous in summer, friendly, strong Italian influence, good restaurants
- Cons:Mafia, Poverty, Corruption
- In a nutshell:About as 'off the beaten track' you get in Europe
Albania is currently the poorest country in Europe. The Italian, Greek, Turkish, French, US and German military have a... more travel advice
johnkebab's Related Pages
Durres Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Durrësi, the main harbor in Albania"
- "The Ancient Capital"
- "Durres 2008"
- "Next charter destination?"
- "Eat Good Fish"
- "Fresh wind from Adriatic sea ---DURRES OF ALBANIA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Durres
- Hotels in Durres
- Transportation in Durres
- Nightlife in Durres
- Restaurants in Durres
- Warnings and Dangers in Durres
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Durres
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Durres?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Durres
Top 10 Pages
- Perth Intro, 5 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kourou Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saint-Laurent du Maroni Intro, 9 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trinidad Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination French Guiana Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos
- Belém Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paramaribo Intro, 11 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tobago Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos
- Oiapoque Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos
- Dubai Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos