"A little out the way but well worth the effort" Apatou by johnkebab
Apatou Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 3 photos
Apatou was 1st recognised as a department of French Guiana around 11th November 1976, it was founded by a retired French Army captain, who's house still stands overlooking the village.
Its 1 hours pirogue trip from St.Laurent, downriver on the way to Maripasoula. You cannot get there by road, though this is in the process of being rectified November 2006) with a small village called 'Sparwin' further up the river housing workers that are cutting a giant swathe through the rain forest in order to connect these two villages to the rest of La Guiane.
If you get to know one of these workers you can hitch a lift along the road up to St Laurent, but the trip is most definitely not for the faint hearted, and the road will not be passable in the rainy season, even with a 4x4.
The village itself is quite Disneylandesque in appearance, from its little thatched bars and shops in the centre of the village to the lovely looking accommodation for the Gendarmes on the outskirts, its quite a weird feeling.
There is lots of hammock space in the village, I ended up staying in a hotel in a village about 10 minutes away, again, with lots of hammock space. Not much in the way of taxis there, so a lot of travelling has to be done on foot or hitch hiking off locals from the surrounding area.
- Pros:Out of the way, good food, good atmosphere
- Cons:Not a place to go if you're looking for lots of life......
- In a nutshell:Definitely worth paying a visit too
johnkebab's Related Pages
Apatou Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Apatou
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Apatou?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Apatou
Top 10 Pages
- Perth Intro, 5 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kourou Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saint-Laurent du Maroni Intro, 9 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trinidad Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination French Guiana Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos
- Belém Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paramaribo Intro, 11 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tobago Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos
- Oiapoque Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos
- Dubai Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos