"Kourou, La Ville Blanche" Kourou by johnkebab
Kourou Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 40 photos
Probably the least historic town in French Guyana, Kourou is known as La Ville Blanche due to all the white people that live here. Built on the site of an old fishing village to house the people that work at the CSG, the town itself is quite spread out and not as vibrant as say Cayenne or St Laurent.
Kourou has many restaurants, from Chinese to Moroccan and lots in between, it is also the port you leave to take a trip to the Isles du Salut, trips run daily and are relatively inexpensive.
Security can be an issue here, the town has its good times and bad times, for the most part its quite safe.
One thing that sets Kourou apart from the rest of the towns in French Guyana is the Ariane 5 launches which take place about 5 times a year, the launches are spectacular and there are many places in and around Kourou where you can watch from, the beach is a very popular viewing spot and if you take time to go to the Space Centre beforehand you may be able to buy tickets to certain viewing areas which benefit from good views and televisions with which to follow the progress of the rocket.
There's lots of interesting wildlife around, this is a picture of a Caiman, obviously very similar to a crocodile.
Your realise that you really are in the jungle when one of these crosses the road outside your workplace, or, in one incident, crossed the main road between Cayenne and Kourou, just goes to show, they are around and not as scarce as you might think.
This one is pretty damn big though, they're not usually this big.
Every year around the end of October there is a special little race that takes part in traditional canoes (pirogues)... more travel advice
Besides the Space Museum, which in itself can be quite interesting, the Space centre also arranges tours to look around... more travel advice
- See All The 'Strip'
- See All Eat Jungle meat caught that day
- Mozzie repellent essential.
johnkebab's Related Pages
Kourou Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Kourou
- Hotels in Kourou
- Transportation in Kourou
- Nightlife in Kourou
- Restaurants in Kourou
- Warnings and Dangers in Kourou
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kourou
- 16 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Kourou?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kourou
Photos in KourouSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Perth Intro, 5 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kourou Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saint-Laurent du Maroni Intro, 9 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trinidad Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination French Guiana Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos
- Belém Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paramaribo Intro, 11 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tobago Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos
- Oiapoque Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos
- Dubai Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos