"St.Laurent, border town with Suriname" Saint-Laurent du Maroni by johnkebab
Saint-Laurent du Maroni Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 61 photos
St. Laurent Du Maroni is quite a busy little town as it is on the river-border (the Maroni) with Suriname, therefore a lot of trade goes through it.
Originally St. Laurent was the debarkation point for arriving French prisoners to the penal colony of French Guyana, the processing prison is still standing and offers tours daily.
This is the de facto (legal) point of entry between La Guaine and Suriname, there are lots and lots of pirogues jostling for your business, it costs 5 euros to cross the river, and you need to get your passport stamped on exiting French Guiana and also entering Suriname, though you will have to ask the taxi driver to take you there as its not on the route. You need a Visa to get into Suriname, consulate is in Cayenne. You can risk it, there are no border checks, but if you get in the ***e, you're gonna wish you had taken the time whilst learning the meaning of the phrase, ' ***ty death'. Lest you have a good consulate.
St. Laurent is a little bit out of the way, but you can make the journey from Kourou in about 2 hours. Though St. Laurent is the central town of the area, there is also the Hmong village of Mana 30km up the road and also the famous beach as Awala Yalimapo, not famous for blue waters of course, but famous for the various turtles that come to lay their eggs there.
Down the road is St.Jean, home of the relegation camp from the penal colony days, the arche de noe zoo and many little villages along the road linking the two towns.
In my humble opinion, St. Laurent du Maroni is one of the most interesting towns in La Guyane, there are lots of things going on, art festivals bands, an active nightlife, it has the same amenities as every other large town here, with a cinema, restaurants, bars etc. The only thing to watch out for is clandestine immigrants hanging out in the town, you're much more likely to get approached or whistled at or whatever in St. Laurent, but that really shouldn't deter you.
The best thing about St. Laurent is the history of the place, doing the prison tour and seeing how the prisoners lived either before transportation to the islands or during their captivity there. I still haven't found the camp at Km 42, though I suppose I should try harder........
- Pros:Border with Suriname, Turtles, History, Créole and Amerindian influence.
- Cons:A bit less secure than some other towns, 2 hours from nearest 'big' town.
- In a nutshell:Living history
Arche de Noe zoo is a family run zoo on the road to St Jean, you can only take guided tours, there are about 4 tours a... more travel advice
The beaches near St Laurent, specifically the beach at Awala-Yalimapo are one of the best areas to sea giant leatherback... more travel advice
johnkebab's Related Pages
Saint-Laurent du Maroni Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St.Laurent, border town with Suriname"
- "Prisoners welcome"
- "Town by the Maroni river"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint-Laurent du Maroni
- Hotels in Saint-Laurent du Maroni
- Transportation in Saint-Laurent du Maroni
- Restaurants in Saint-Laurent du Maroni
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint-Laurent du Maroni
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint-Laurent du Maroni
- 9 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Saint-Laurent du Maroni?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint-Laurent du Maroni
- Commented on one of johnkebab's Saint-Laurent du Maroni travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "St.Laurent, border town with Suriname"
- updated a Saint-Laurent du Maroni Travel Page "St.Laurent, border town with Suriname"
- Wrote a Review Arche de Noe zoo in Saint-Laurent du Maroni Things to Do
- Posted in Travel Paramaribo Forum "RE: RE: work in suriname?"
Photos in Saint-Laurent du MaroniSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Perth Intro, 5 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kourou Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saint-Laurent du Maroni Intro, 9 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trinidad Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination French Guiana Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos
- Belém Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paramaribo Intro, 11 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tobago Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos
- Oiapoque Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos
- Dubai Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos