"Equatorial town of Brazil" Macapá by johnkebab
Macapá Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 7 photos
I haven't spent a lot of time in Macapa, and the time that I did spend there, was, unfortunately mostly spent in bars or on the rugby pitch!
Basically Macapa is an equatorial town, in that it has the zero mark running through it, cue big monument, stadiums with the equator as the half way line etc etc. Its a historical place, with a big old Portuguese fort looking out onto the river Amazon, during religious festivals the council sets up a stage along the wall of the fort and kind of uses its walls as a back drop, this can make for some pretty impressive open air theatre, if you can speak Portuguese of course.....
Macapa is also a staging point for the boat to Manaus, further up the Amazon and also for the boat to Belem, the financial capital of the North of Brazil, so it is in fact quite important in the area.
For me, Macapa was pretty like any other town in the far North of Brazil, its always busy, bars open all hours of the day, lots of girls looking for guys and guys looking for girls, its always refreshing to go to an active environment after the relative stagnancy of French Guiana, plus its on the Amazon, sometimes you just have to pinch yourself and take a step back to appreciate where you are and how lucky you are........
Both times I've been to Macapa its been from the Oyapoque direction (Oyapoque being the town on the border with French... more travel advice
johnkebab's Related Pages
Macapá Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Macapá
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Macapá?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Macapá
Top 10 Pages
- Perth Intro, 5 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kourou Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saint-Laurent du Maroni Intro, 9 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trinidad Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination French Guiana Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos
- Belém Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paramaribo Intro, 11 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tobago Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos
- Oiapoque Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos
- Dubai Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos