"I just love travelling!!!" haleysmith's Profile

Greece as a teenager!

I suppose my love for independent travel started when I was a teenager back in the early 80's when I went with some friends backpacking to Greece. Like lots of people, we got to Piraeus at crack of dawn and just headed out to the first island on our list, armed with nothing much more than the 'Rough Guide'. The most memorable place for me was Ios. I am sure I'd hate it now for the very reasons I was so captivated back then - load and loads of partying teenagers, the whole tiny village just awash with good spirited, brown, fun loving young people. And the days spend naked sunbathing on the gorgeous beaches! Shocking! But our first taste of freedom!

Malaysia

We've done loads of travelling in the meantime but I suppose the most amazing, 'first time' experiences we enjoyed as a family were when we went to Malaysia back in 2002. My husband Lou and our three kids (then aged 7, 9 and 11) started off in Singapore, headed up to Mersing where we caught a very sick making boat to Tioman Island. What paradise! We just couldn't believe such beauty, such warm and lovely people, such delicious food and all and what we considered to be just pennies. After that we headed back to the mainland and had 4 day jungle experience in Taman Nagara. What a most fantastic time we had - night time safaris, white water rafting, cave crawling, jungle trekking. Truly a life enriching, wonderful experience.

The following year we returned to Malaysia and stayed in Gayana in Sabah. We sayed in beautiful little thatched cottages perched on stilts in the water. We organised it all independently and at a fraction of the cost that you see similar places in Maldives and such. From Gayana we did Poring Hot Springs, Mount Kinabalu, KK, wonderful scuba diving and river rafting. Again, the Malaysian we met were warm, special people.

USA

We've enjoyed many cities in the US. New York, Boston, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Francisco and of course, Orlando. What a fantastic country it is. We have loved it so much and for very different reasons that above. I just love the Americans! Yes, some say they are niaive and insincere and I suppose if you were in a fault finding mood you might find good examples of this but I just find them uplifting and fun to be around. Everything in the US seems to remind you of scenes from a movie - you feel you're on a giant film set! We're keen to get to know some more of the US - Chicago and Siattle look good and I am keen to check out more of Florida.

Mauritius

We went to Mauritius this year booked through a travel agent. It is a beautiful island and we met some truly lovely people there. We stayed in the most gorgeous hotel - The Residence. However, it made me realise how much more satisfying and fun it is to travel independently. Firstly, we went in August which we subsequently discovered is winter there. Although it was an excellent travel agents with whom we booked and we have had the utmost confidence in them, they didn't inform us of this rather important fact. And although the hotel was divine, we found it to be rather restrictive and quite dull really.

Skiing Action

All went to Whistler in Canada earlier this year. Well, not really much to say other than everyone loved it and can't wait to do it again.......... except me!!!

What next?

So I suppose what I've come to realise is that my ideal travel involves experiencing a different culture, getting to interract with the locals, travelling around the country a bit and really getting the feeling that you've enriched your life by 'living' just a little of another country.

• Intro Written Oct 18, 2005

• mostafamehr's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Happy Birthday with the best wishes

• trav4bus's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2010 at 10:04 PM

beautiful pics and nice pages

• kopwint's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2009 at 11:01 PM

happy birthday and get free and happy.. wish you get great time in your birthday form Burma. Know Burma where is??

• ian-uk's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2008 at 11:34 PM

Happy Birthday Haley, have a wonderful day and take care, Ian

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2008 at 9:14 PM

Here's wishing you the best of birthdays. May your special day be blessed with sunshine, friendships, a year filled with travel, and, most of all, just tons of love.

• Lyndra's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2007 at 11:08 AM

Hi Haley, from one brummie to another :-)

• ghibli88's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2007 at 1:04 PM

A warm Happy birthday to you,best wishes from rainy Italy.

• vpeter's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2007 at 9:13 PM

Hi Haley, wish you happy birthday and a great party. Happy travels. Greetings from the Netherlands.

• ScunnyArfie's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2006 at 1:08 AM

Hello Hayley,great page,more pics please.Many safe + happy journeys. :-)

• CelticFire's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2006 at 2:45 PM

Happy Birthday from North of the Border!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!