"Fascinating Sydney" Sydney by no1birdlady
Sydney Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 95 photos
We visited Sydney on our tour of Cape Breton Island. Sydney was founded in 1785 and was named in honor of Thomas Townshend, first Viscount Sydney. The group who settled here were mostly poor English citizens and disibanded soldiers. There was also a group of Loyalists from New York who came here after the American Revolution. The city is modern but also has a nice historic district. This picture shows St. George Anglican Church which is Sydney's oldest building from 1785. Sydney was first a garrison town laid out by the military engineers and the building of houses began along with barracks near here.
We had asked about a local place to have lunch downtown in Sydney and were told this was a good sandwich place. It was... more travel advice
no1birdlady's Related Pages
Sydney Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sydney, Nova Scotia"
- "Fascinating Sydney"
- "Lisser's Cape Breton Page"
- "mainiacgal's Sydney Page"
- "Fort Louisbourg, Nova Scotia"
- "Cape Breton Island"
- "brucegt's new Sydney Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sydney
- Hotels in Sydney
- Nightlife in Sydney
- Restaurants in Sydney
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sydney
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Sydney?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sydney
Top 10 Pages
- England Intro, 49 reviews, 52 photos
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 57 photos
- Italy Intro, 34 reviews, 36 photos
- Puerto Rico Intro, 33 reviews, 32 photos
- Kenya Intro, 30 reviews, 33 photos
- Rome Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Panama Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Paris Intro, 23 reviews, 27 photos
- Texas Intro, 17 reviews, 30 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 21 reviews, 26 photos