Bilbao Sports & Outdoors Tips by RudoElCojonudo Top 5 Page for this destination
Bilbao Sports & Outdoors: 37 reviews and 102 photos
The Basque Country has his own sports. Some of them are also played in other places of the world. I´m going to quote them, and then I´ll explain them individually.
* Harrijasotzaileak: Stone lifters.
* Haizkolariak: Woodcutters.
* Cesta Punta a.k.a Jai Alai: ''Fronton'' play with a basquet.
* Eskupilota: ''Fronton'' play with the hand.
* Txinga Erute: Resistance play bringing weigth.
* Idi Probak: A resistance game with bulls. The bulls drag a huge stone.
* Gizon Probak: A resistance game. A man drags a huge stone.
* Soka Tira: Two teams pull in a rope.
* Estropadak: Ship races.
* Segalariak: Grass cutting.
It´s very tipical to bet big amounts of money in them, it´s part of the sport culture.
Other Contact: http://usuarios.lycos.es/uxuelan
It is a ship race. This sport was born when basque people used to fish wales,
cods or sardines. It was important to arrive to the place before than the other
fishermen if you wanted to fish more and better fishes.
-There are several ship kinds:
* Trainerak: 12 rowers and the skipper.
* Trainerillak: 6 rowers and the skipper.
* Batela: 4 rowers and the skipper.
-The covered distances depends on the modality:
* Trainerak: 3 sea-miles.
* Trainerillak: 3000 metres.
* Batelak: 2000 metres.
The last wale of the Cantabric sea was caught in 14/May/1901 by a group
of fishermen from Orio, Gipuzkoa(Basque Country).
Jai Alai match.
This is probably the most popular basque sport.
The ground consists of a smoth floor and two walls diplayed in a 90º angle.
There are diferent cathegories:
-Cesta Punta a.k.a Jai-Alai: It´s played with a basquet in the right hand
-Esku Pilota: It´s played with the hand.
-Pala: It´s played with a wooden racket.
The lever (palanka) was one of the most used tools in the quarries.
First of all they used to make a hole with the quarry and then they
put TNT inside to break the rocks. The wight of the lever is varible,
between 8 and 25 pounds. Wins who throws it further.
It can be trown in several ways:
-Bularretik: From the chest.
-Hankartetik: Between the legs.
-Bueltaerdiz: Half turn.
One of the most common work in country side areas is grass cutting. It´s
necesary to cut it quickly because a unespected rain could damage it, and the
livestock has to be feeded every day. That´s the way this sport was born.
The winner is the player who cuts more kilograms of grass in 60, 90 or 120 minutes
with a scythe.
The competitors often play barefoot.
In this case are people who drag the stone. They have to cover a known distance
as many times as possible. It can be played by 2, 4 or more people groups.
The lightes stone used in this games are 500 kilograms.
A pair of bulls has to drag a huge stone for haf an hour. They has to cover an specific
distance as meny times as posible in this time.
The origin of this sport is realy old. The basque farmers didn´t use horses or donkeys in their agriculture works, so they used bulls.
Is one of the most popular basque sports and big amounts of money are betten.
25, 50 or 75 little pieces of wood are placed in the floor.
The player has to introduce them in a basquet before than his oponent.
The wood pieces has to be colected in a specific order. From the
closer to the basquet to the further one.
Equipment: A basquet and 25, 50, or 75 pieces of wood per player.
The player has to cover a distance as many times as posible with a 50 kilogram
weight in each hand.
Equipment: Two weights of 50 kilograms per hand.
It consists of cutting some tree truncs of a known size.
The player has a person to help him to change the axes, because they get hot and they don´t cut properly.
Equipment: Tennis soes, white trousers and a strapped shirt.
More Reviews (54)
- See All Akelarre Hostel
- See All COAST OF BIZKAIA: Elantxobe
- EUSKERA, the basque language
- See All Basque Culture Center
- See All How the basques go on party.
RudoElCojonudo's Related Pages
Bilbao Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bilbao, Capital of the World"
- "Bilbo, besterik gabe..."
- "Come and explore Bilbao with Suvanki"
- "Guggenheim Museum and much more..."
- "Bilbao, Spain"
- "The Camino Norte (1st section) – Irun to Santander"
- "Athletic Club"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bilbao
- Hotels in Bilbao
- Transportation in Bilbao
- Nightlife in Bilbao
- Restaurants in Bilbao
- Shopping in Bilbao
- Warnings and Dangers in Bilbao
- See All...
Explore the World
- Bluefields Hotels
- Ocracoke Hotels
- Greenock Hotels
- Vlore Hotels
- Conca dei Marini
- Bregenz Sports & Outdoors
- Horse Racing
- Salamanca Sports & Outdoors
- Extreme Sports
- North Korea Sports & Outdoors
- Milan Sports & Outdoors
- Province of Zambales Sports & Outdoors
- Richmond International Raceway
- Naran Sports & Outdoors
- Khabarovsk Sports & Outdoors
- Gibraltar Sports & Outdoors
- Utrecht Sports & Outdoors
Badges & Stats in Bilbao
- 66 Reviews
- 71 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Bilbao?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bilbao
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bilbao Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos
- Cusco Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
- Lago Titicaca Intro, 10 reviews, 21 photos
- Campinas Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston Intro, 14 reviews, 14 photos
- Negril Intro, 17 reviews, 9 photos
- Cologne Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 13 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vitoria Intro, 12 reviews, 11 photos
- London Intro, 17 reviews, 5 photos
Latest Bilbao hotel reviews
- Sheraton Bilbao Hotel
- 251 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- NH Palacio de Oriol
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 15, 2013
- Petit Palace Arana
- 108 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Golden Tulip Gran Hotel Ercilla
- 89 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Barcelo Hotel Avenida
- 81 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 25, 2013
- Carlton Hotel
- 163 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Hostal Begona
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 10, 2013
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 24, 2013
- San Mames
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 9, 2013
- Barcelo Nervion
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Abba Parque Hotel Bilbao
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 19, 2013
- Hotel Occidental Abando
- 70 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Husa Jardines de Albia
- 71 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 3, 2013
- Bilbao Akelarre Hostel
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- Guggenheim Museum & Puppy- 70 Reviews, 152 Photos
- Old Town + Cathedral - Casco Viejo & El Arenal- 52 Reviews, 114 Photos
- Near Bilbao...around Vizcaya / Bizkaia- 15 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Zubizuri (White bridge)- 10 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Museums- 12 Reviews, 13 Photos
- One hour from Bilbao... Guipuzcoa/Gipuzkoa- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos