"DarFur" Wilayat Darfur by yurxlnc
Wilayat Darfur Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 40 photos
Darfur is the most westerly province of Sudan, bordering with Chad and Libya.
Its name stems from the Fur tribe whose homeland [Dar] it was and is.
There is Jebl Mara, an extinct volcano which drew many visitors before the recent troubles, because of its temperate climate and beautiful waterfalls.
Away from the mountains, the desert conditions prevail. Water is a scarce commodity, and although wells are dug, there is still a problem.
Women walk miles to get firewood and water for cooking, so life is basic and hard.
Ali Dinar is one of the famous personalities in Sudanese history. In 1916 Sultan Ali Dinar was the ruler of Darfur . At the beginning of the First World War Ali Dinar showed his growing annoyance at the British-led Sudanese Government over their lack of assistance in Darfur's border dispute with French colonial authorities in Chad, and in controlling rebellious tribes. In 1915 Ali Dinar threatened to invade Anglo-Egyptian territory if the Sudanese government did not stop the intimidation of travellers returning to Darfur. The following February Darfur troops began concentrating at the border and the Sudanese government had the excuse they wanted to depose Ali Dinar and incorporate Darfur into Anglo-Egyptian Sudan.
See my El Fashir page
- Pros:beautiful mountain
- Cons:many problems from lack of water to rebels
This area at the extreme west of Sudan has a temperate climate. At present it is not safe to visit this area, but... more travel advice
yurxlnc's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Wilayat Darfur
- 4 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Wilayat Darfur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wilayat Darfur
Top 10 Pages
- Cairo Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sudan Intro, 6 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Uganda Intro, 7 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 11 reviews, 32 photos
- Osaka Intro, 3 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Khartoum Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Syria Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 4 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Aswan Intro, 3 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 1 review, 28 photos, 3 travelogues