"Traditional town" Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman by yurxlnc
Omdurman Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 148 photos
Omdurman is a traditional Sudanese town. The streets in the older areas are narrow and twisting.
The town is built on an old site . Neolithic people lived in the area that is Khor Abu Anga.
It was the stronghold of Mohamed Ahmed El Mahdi [ the expected one] and his followers. He made the then village of Omdurman his military headquarters. Many districts have names dating from that time like Beit el Maal [the Exchequer: literally the house of Money]; El Mulazmeen[ the escort].
After the defeat of the English, the Khalifa Abdullahi [who succeeded the Mahdi] made Omdurman his capital, but after the Battle of Omdurman [ at kerari] in 1898, the city was destroyed, including the tomb of the Mahdi which was later restored.
In the past the silver dome of the Mahdi's tomb was the main landmark, but now anyone coming from Khartoum will see the dome of the Nilain Mosque.
Under former President NImeri a lot of important new buildings went up at the beginning of Omdurman. These include the New Parliament buildings, built by Romanians, and The Palace of Youth and Sports, built by Korean workers.
Omdurman is the home of Sudan TV, The National Theatre, and a number of schools and Universities.
Interesting places to see are;
the Maurada where boats are built in the traditional way , and the fish market on the Nile banks.
The camel market.
Omdurman Market, and Suq Libya
Incidentally the three most popular football teams are in Omdurman: Hilal, Mereikh and Maurada.
Hamad el Nil where the Dervishes carry out their rituals.
yurxlnc's Related Pages
Omdurman Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Omdurman - the real capital"
- "the native Capital"
- "Traditional town"
- "Welcome to Omdurman"
- "Omdurman the city on the other side of river Nile"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Omdurman
- Transportation in Omdurman
- Nightlife in Omdurman
- Restaurants in Omdurman
- Shopping in Omdurman
- Warnings and Dangers in Omdurman
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Omdurman
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Omdurman?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Omdurman
Photos in OmdurmanSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Cairo Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sudan Intro, 6 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Uganda Intro, 7 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 11 reviews, 32 photos
- Osaka Intro, 3 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Khartoum Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Syria Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 4 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Aswan Intro, 3 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 1 review, 28 photos, 3 travelogues