"Tivaouane" Tivaouane by yurxlnc
Tivaouane Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 1 photos
Tivaouane was part of the Wolof kingdom of Cayor, and was at one time its capital. It lies 50 miles north-east of Dakar, and is linked also with the port Saint-Louis.
It is the capital of the Tijaniyya Sufi brotherhood. Followers come to visit the tombs of religious leaders, especially that of El-Hadji Malick Sy every week, and congregate each year to celebrate the birth of the prophet Muhammad , the Mulid.
In 2003, the mausoleum of El-Hadji Malick Sy, the mosque of Serigne Babacar Sy and the railway station were added to the list of Senegalese historic monuments. The Sy family were very important in the region.[Wikipedia]
Most people of the region are farmers growing ground nuts for trade and sorghum for staple diet.
Phosphates are also quarried.
yurxlnc's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Tivaouane
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Tivaouane?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tivaouane
Top 10 Pages
- Cairo Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sudan Intro, 6 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Uganda Intro, 7 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 11 reviews, 32 photos
- Osaka Intro, 3 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Khartoum Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Syria Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 4 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Aswan Intro, 3 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 1 review, 28 photos, 3 travelogues